Thread: Requires installation of untrusted packages

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[Solved] Requires installation of untrusted packages

Hi all!
    I've been running karmic for a while now & it's really good, but suddenly Ubuntu Software Center gives me this error message whenever I try installing ANY app
    Code:
    Requires installation of untrusted packages
    I then have to use apt-get but I really want a solution because I like Ubuntu Software Center

Thanks
    Last edited by Atomic_kemo; November 11th, 2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Requires installation of untrusted packages

What software repository did you add? You also need to add the key for that repository. The website that has the repository should have instructions for adding the key.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks I removed unused sources & it worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is that because I installed Ubuntu Tweak ? I have the same problem but I never change any configuration in software sources before...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem. I am just trying to install items already in the software center and not anything else. I have not added or removed or changed any settings in my software center before this happened. I have used the Software center to download some games and Gimp when I first installed a few months ago. Now when I try to install something I get this error for any attempt. The post here don't explain what is going on, and what am I looking for to fix this.
    Any Ideas?
    Old HP-UX guy.... New Linux guy....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Deleted: I was wrong. It did not work and all my systems have problems.
    Last edited by jwm93k; February 14th, 2011 at 11:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Requires installation of untrusted packages

Hi, I have found out my previous post was totally in error and wrong. Please disregard or even delete it if you can. I still have the problem. I loaded Mint thinking I could get around it and I still have the problem. I'm thinking this issue my be related to the Update issues with "something wicked happen" messages from trying an update. I have made changes to my router and hosts file, and sources.list file, and selected and unselected sources in the Update GUI, and I have chosen different sites to Update or install from. It all fails. I have 4 Ubuntu and 2 Mint systems failing the same. These are mostly fresh vanilla loads with no changes that have problems updating or loading software. I found a few more things to try tonight, but so far this has been a very big headache. I can not help anyone else move or use Ubuntu when the update or software center does not work. It is a full halt to any progress in promoting Ubuntu. I hope the manual DNS change to my router's listed DNS paths or to Googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 will work. If not I am out of things to try and using the stinking windows again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I don't know if anyone will read this but I have limited success. I did try the adding the outside DNS address to the resolv.conf file. "nameserver 8.8.8.8" I used the google DNS. I could have used my ISP DNS address just as well. Update would now work. It did complain about the "getdeb" addresses, but I found that is a different issue. I was able to use the GUI to Update my system, and load a game that I was unable to load before.
    During my many searches I found may suggestions and ideas about what was wrong and what to do. 90% of those links were clueless, wrong, lost, and headed in the wrong direction. Last night I happened upon a place that recognized the issue and actually called it a bug. It seems these many related problems are caused by the apt-get not being able to resolve the host names. You can manually go to the locations but apt-get could not. Some think it may be a timing issue not waiting long enough, or routers that respond slowly. You can see in the /etc/resolv.conf usually has the router IP address as the nameserver. The router then forwards the request out to the listed ISP DNS server. This takes time. By putting the specific DNS in the resolv.conf file you are effectively bypassing the router's DNS processing. This seems to fix the problem. All this is theory because this did not use to be a problem and no one seems to know why this is becoming a problem.