Thread: First Bacl, Screen, Then Failed to Update ICEauthority, The Device Full

Beans

First Black Screen, Then Failed to Update ICEauthority, The Device Full

Hello everyone,

Been using Ubuntu as my main OS for about 6 months now. Yesterday when I restarted I could no longer get a display. After the login for user and password, I would get a black screen with a white cursor. I could move the cursor around. I looked through the forums and the solutions posted did not work. I ended up logging on to Failsafe GNOME.

This then displayed an error about being unable to update the ICEauthority file. Found a few threads on how to fix it and nothing worked. Changed permissions and stuff. I then saw the update manager came up and asked if I wanted to update. I said yes but it said device was full.

I have a 250 gig hard drive and am only using about 40 gigs as far as I can tell. Anyways, I decided to delete some videos from my home folder and this freed up some space. I was then able to login to failsafe GNOME without getting the ICEauthority error. I then decided to go back to regular GNOME and see if that worked. Well I was able to login but Compiz was no longer enabled and the Nvidia driver did not load. I reactivated and all is well now. Well I also had to recreate my Mozilla profile.

I am now at the following problems. I had setup simple back and it looks like that may have been the culprit. I since have removed it but cannot access the backup folder so I can delete it. Any ideas on how to accomplish that. Says I dont have permission. I tried to login as root but then says the folder does not exist. This is weird because the dir shows it does. I am a newb so any ideas would be helpful.

Last issue, I know have a folder called Tmpp50RPo in my home folder. I am sure this was created when I logged in to failsafe GNOME. How do I delete that one as well? I tried to by right-clicking and it says I dont have permission. Also has a lock on it.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; November 11th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: First Bacl, Screen, Then Failed to Update ICEauthority, The Device Full

Start nautilus as root, press Alt-F2 and type:

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    This will start the file manager as root, you can then delete the file. Make sure you clean out root's trash after removing the file.

Beans

Thank you very much. That allowed me to delete the files. Just one question. How do I empty the trash?

Beans

Okay, I think I found out. I ran the command you told me and then navigated to

home/harryhoudini66/.local/share/Trash and deleted them from there.

I also went to /root/.local/share/Trash

When I open up the Trash though under my user it still shows the items in there. I try to delete them again and then it says they dont exists. FUnny how Simple Backup is what caused all these problems. It was meant to save me when I did have a problem.

Beans

After reboot, the trash was empty. I now have 40 gigs used out of 250.

Thank you so much for your help. You are a lifesaver. I was getting ready to reinstall. I knew Ubuntu was not like Windows in which bigger problems required reinstalling. I was just running out of patience.

You're the best.