Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Life Crashing in Karmic

Beans

Second Life Crashing in Karmic

Lotsa folk seem to be suffering from continuous crashes and sound problems in Karmic 64bit. It fizzles, crackles, gets worse, then the game crashes. PC specs are:

AMD 6000+ dual core (3.1gz i think)
    Nvidia 9800gtx
    8GB Black Dragon Ram
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X Motherboard - Linkage

I have tried the SDL / Urban terror fix and it hasnt worked for me properly on SL.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Second Life Crashing in Karmic

Haven't tried yet, but have you tried with a 3rd party viewer (omvviewer has an ubuntu ppa). Will check it out when I get home though.

--EDIT

Since this is the higher post: The answer is you need to disable openal audio in the secondlife script:

Code:
    gedit secondlife
    then uncomment this line so it looks like so:

Code:
    export LL_BAD_OPENAL_DRIVER=x
    Last edited by RabidWeezle; November 11th, 2009 at 04:05 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RabidWeezle View Post
    Haven't tried yet, but have you tried with a 3rd party viewer (omvviewer has an ubuntu ppa). Will check it out when I get home though.
    Good point, should also add, OMVViewer (my rock in the past) doesnt have a Karmic repo yet. I have used Snowglobe (from the playdeb repo), and the stand alone GreenLife (emerald) and Official (downloaded direct from SL's website) versions. Its the same on all of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use SL a lot in Karmic 64bit. What kind of crashes are you experiencing?

Beans
    Distro

I will take a look at it when I get out from work in about 3.5 hours, see if I can make it work somehow. I know you can edit some settings in the secondlife startup script, perhaps there's something we can do in there to make it work. I'm also having popping/fizzling noises from other games aswell, complaining about how it can't connect to the pulseaudio server, I'm guessing it's the same issue of sorts.

Beans

I always crash on exit, quit the game and it freezes. I have to kill it to close it. It also randomly freezes during play. Only way out is to kill it.

complaining about how it can't connect to the pulseaudio server, I'm guessing it's the same issue of sorts.
    Hmm perhaps i should try gutting everything Pulse from my PC and fill it up with Alsa?
    Last edited by Naiki Muliaina; November 11th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

have you tried the usual deletion of ~/.secondlife (if karmic was upgraded rather than a clean wipe/install)

--edit:
    With Karmic, I wouldn't try removing pulseaudio, since it seems to be tied into the distro hardcore now, if you can just make it work with pulseaudio, you would probably be better off.
    Last edited by RabidWeezle; November 11th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.

Beans

have you tried the usual deletion of ~/.secondlife (if karmic was upgraded rather than a clean wipe/install)

--edit:
    With Karmic, I wouldn't try removing pulseaudio, since it seems to be tied into the distro hardcore now
    Ahhh bugger, always had more success with ALSA than Pulse... It was a clean install, not an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    Ahhh bugger, always had more success with ALSA than Pulse... It was a clean install, not an upgrade.
    I hear ya, before I used kubuntu on jaunty, and I wasn't tied into pulse at all, and SL/Skype/other games worked like a dream. But according to the pulseaudio guys it's not so much to be blamed on pulseaudio but ubuntu's dodgy implimentation of it.

Beans

Arf! Ah well, thanks for the response dude! If i have any advancements meself ill post them up here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast