Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Internet or Slow Firefox ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Slow Internet or Slow Firefox ?

I have no experience of usb mobile modems, but my understanding is that there are IPv6 protocols, period. Devices either support them, not at all or wrongly.

I was caught with the IPv6 issue some 4+ years ago when I first started using Linux. At that time IPv6 was enabled in most Linux distros but not in Windows XP. Long story short" the problem was solved when I updated my router firmware. The old firmware simply didn't understand IPv6 and was confused by the traffic emanating from Linux - even though my Linux box was trying to access IPv4-address webpages. Pass.

That being said, I doubt your problem is really an IPv6 issue per se because IPv6 is enabled by default in Vista, Win 7 and the last three iterations (at least) of MacOSX. That modem just has to work with Vista, W7 and MacOS. So - I wonder if this is an obscure bug with IPv6 implementation in Ubuntu which is only revealed with that particular modem, or is an entirely unrelated bug that is coincidentally bypassed when you disable IPv6 in Firefox.

Sorry - I'm not being much help here. I'm out of my depth and I get the impresssion I'm beginning to burble without making any sense.

One experiment you might try if you wish. Before I upgraded my old router firmware I found that setting a static IP address in my Linux box and configuring DNS addresses manually got round the problem. I've read elsewhere that the IPv6 issue can interfere with name resolution, so that makes some sort of sense. You could try that but it may not get you much further.

By the way - out of interest - do Update Manager and Synaptic show any delay in resolving IP addresses when you use them>
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JimBuntu View Post
    After my upgrade to karmic, my internet has been extremely slow. Sometimes not even fully loading the page. Both my desktop and laptop are experiencing this. Not even craigslist is loading correctly. I was trying to not have to post this thinking that there was a fix coming but nothing so far. What the heck is the prob?
    Me, too. Much slower with 9.10 and Firefox than with Vista. Almost like it's "hanging up" and frequently to the point of timing out.

Beans

Ok! I just updated to ubuntu 9.10 to find my internet connection was real slow as well. I searched around and I think I may have stumbled across something here. I found this on another sight, so here goes....
    -open firefox
    -type "about:config" in the address bar
    -click "I'll be careful. I promise."
    -in the filter bar type "network.dns.disableIPv6"
    -make it "true"
    -close firefox and try again.

I noticed a difference right away in my browser. Worth a try for others who are experiencing the same problems. After this change to firefox, It's now normal speed for me. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
    bwdease is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JimBuntu View Post
    After my upgrade to karmic, my internet has been extremely slow. Sometimes not even fully loading the page. Both my desktop and laptop are experiencing this. Not even craigslist is loading correctly. I was trying to not have to post this thinking that there was a fix coming but nothing so far. What the heck is the prob?
    right after I did my upgrade my internet connection went really slow too, I just did a reset on my modem and renewed my ip and it seems to be going pretty good now. the only site I have a problem with load times now is you tube, but its been working better since the last firefox update I got, Ive also been told opera and chrome run faster to be honest I have not given either a try yet, I might download those now, since I'm thinking about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post

By the way - out of interest - do Update Manager and Synaptic show any delay in resolving IP addresses when you use them>
    Any help is welcome coffeecat, gives me new ideas for searching for, or trying a solution. I noticed no difference with delays using Update Manager compared with using it with Jaunty and from what I could gather after having a look in a few forums, static IP address aren't available for PAYG mobile broadband packages which is what I'm currently using. However.......I've just downloaded the latest updates for Firefox and re-enabled ipv6 support, and the problem seems to have been resolved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Minsky View Post
    I've just downloaded the latest updates for Firefox and re-enabled ipv6 support, and the problem seems to have been resolved.
    That's the ticket! Do an update. A problem mysteriously solves itself. Move on.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

been playing with opera now for about an hour, totally faster! chrome was freezing up on me a lot. i recommend opera highly right now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy1313 View Post
    been playing with opera now for about an hour, totally faster! chrome was freezing up on me a lot. i recommend opera highly right now
    Chrome froze on me, too. Not having as much success as you with Opera.

Bummer.

Does Opera have an ad blocker?

Beans

did you try putting these settings in /etc/sysctl.conf

Code:
    net.core.rmem_default = 524288
    net.core.rmem_max = 524288
    net.core.wmem_default = 524288
    net.core.wmem_max = 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 524288 524288 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
    net.ipv4.route.flush = 1

after you do that and save the changes run
    Code:
    sudo sysctl -p
    I have to use these settings when connected to the network at my office to get normal speeds, but not anywhere else. Figured id give ya something else to try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

what is the deal????????

It's not Firefox or Chrome. They are both terribly slow. It's got to be something that changed in Karmic. My Win XP Firefox works fast. I've done all the updates. Still unbelievably slow. Sometimes just times out. This is on two diff computers too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast