Thread: Projector and Laptop monitor with xrandr

Beans

Projector and Laptop monitor with xrandr

Hi,
    I have Debian stable on a laptop and all I want to do is to have a clone on a projector. I have succeeded to do this on any other CRT monitor, but I can't do this with the projector.

The output of the xrandr -q gives the VGA1 connected. So, its not hardware's problem.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Projector and Laptop monitor with xrandr

What exactly does "xrandr -q" say?

I suspect it's actually is a hardware problem. Projectors are notorious for giving wrong EDID info or no info at all. Sometimes, there is a VGA hardware switch in between the laptop and projector that is causing trouble.

Beans

The xrandr -q say that the VGA1 device is connected. I cannot post the exact output, because the projector is in work.

But I don't think its a hardware issue, because in windows the projector works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bo01 View Post
    The xrandr -q say that the VGA1 device is connected. I cannot post the exact output, because the projector is in work.
    I am sure "xrandr -q" says more than that; for instance, it should also say what resolutions are supported. That would help for the next command, e.g. "xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768"

But I don't think its a hardware issue, because in windows the projector works fine.
    Unfortunately, Xorg is more fussy about auto-detection. Windows usually do a better job handling unusual situation. That my personal experience/opinion.

Beans

Yes, it gives the resolution supported and then I run the command with the --mode argument, but nothing happens. And no error message too.

Anything else???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What graphics hardware do you have?

I re-read your first post, you mentioned you have Debian stable? I'm not sure if my experience with Ubuntu will fully apply.

EDIT:
    Instead of xrandr on-the-fly configuration, you might have to revert back to manual xorg.conf editing for this to work.
    Last edited by chewearn; February 6th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Beans

I have an Nvidia one. The configuration file are almost the same between Debian-Ubuntu. I don't know what to add in the xorg.conf.

The strange thing is that, as I mentioned, with any other CRT monitor the xrandr work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are you running proprietary nvidia driver, or open source "nv"? If it's proprietary, the proper way to set this up is using nvidia-settings.

Code:
    nvidia-settings
    Or (if you need to write to xorg.conf)
    Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings