Thread: Time server sync not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Time server sync not working

I installed Kubuntu Karmic on a Fujitsu-Siemens AmiloPro notebook

When I try to set up time synchronization with an NTP server using the Contol Center it does not seem to work. I enable the time sync checkbox and input the NTP server name but if I go back or close Control Center the settings are lost, i.e. the checkbox is empty and the time server name reverts back to the defaults.

There is no error message so I have no idea if it's working or not, I just know that the settings will not "stick".
    Young Austin! Before you can make pie, you must learn to make pie. And to learn to make pie, I must teach you to make pie. Do you understand?
    - Tyrone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Time server sync not working

Quote Originally Posted by Golem XIV View Post
    I installed Kubuntu Karmic on a Fujitsu-Siemens AmiloPro notebook

When I try to set up time synchronization with an NTP server using the Contol Center it does not seem to work. I enable the time sync checkbox and input the NTP server name but if I go back or close Control Center the settings are lost, i.e. the checkbox is empty and the time server name reverts back to the defaults.

There is no error message so I have no idea if it's working or not, I just know that the settings will not "stick".
    Is NTP support installed?

If you install NTP support and restart, is the problem still there?
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    Is NTP support installed?

If you install NTP support and restart, is the problem still there?
    The problem that I have is that I'm not sure what packages I need for NTP sync support.

I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntp
    but it didn't seem to help. I'm not at my PC right now so I can't check, though. I'll check later today.

There's a bunch of NTP related packages so I'm not sure which ones I need - ntp, ntpd, ntpdate, etc.
    Young Austin! Before you can make pie, you must learn to make pie. And to learn to make pie, I must teach you to make pie. Do you understand?
    - Tyrone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

ntpd is the background process (daemon) that actually keeps the time synched, but it seems surprising if it's not installed by default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, I got home and I checked. Time sync does work but the settings return to default after closing the date & Time screen. At least it leaves me with the correct time
    - Tyrone