Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GNOME 3 pushed to Sept. 2010

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GNOME 3 pushed to Sept. 2010

I've read enough to know all we're getting is a menu on the left with compiz integrated basically... nothing else. If there is anything else, feel free to mention it...

Beans
    Hidden!

Awesome news, glad to hear they are taking more time to get it right.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pasdar View Post
    I've read enough to know all we're getting is a menu on the left with compiz integrated basically... nothing else. If there is anything else, feel free to mention it...
    http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan

(Fastest edit ever.)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    That is a lot of text just to say,
    * We will continue developing GNOME like we used to, plus:
    * we will add a new way of theming

That plus the menu thing is all the desktop user will notice.

Beans

I've read enough
    No, you didn't.

to know all we're getting is a menu on the left with compiz integrated basically... nothing else. If there is anything else, feel free to mention it...
    Anything else is not really the expression, because what you did say is completely wrong. As a matter of fact, I have absolutely no idea where you took this, as five seconds reading the Gnome 3.0 roadmap show you wrong.

But since your ignorance seems honest and not just for the sake of trolling, I'll mention some important points.

- Major cleanup of Gtk with the definitive removal of deprecated symbols. The Gnome team has been preparing for this for a long time (with deprecation warnings such as the ones given by Python 2.6), but for third party applications who have not been keeping up with the times, this might mean major API breakage. A good price to pay, though, as it will make Gtk3 leaner and cleaner.

- Friendly environment for the inclusion of new technologies such as clutter and libchamplain. Clutter is an example of technology that can be a major game-changer in future Gnome application development.

- Major cleanup of the entire Gnome library ecosystem through Project Ridley, which aims to rewrite and incorporate into Gtk several unmaintained and buggy libraries. This will cause massive backwards incompatibilities with third-party apps that are not keeping up with the times and will require rethinking of several core components (ex: Evolution and gnome-panel heavily depend on Bonobo, which is going to be 100% deprecated). Definitely a worthy effort, though, as it will make life easier for both developers and users in the long run.

- Development of a brand new journaling engine (Gnome Zeitgeist) with the intent of making a deep integration with desktop usage that takes the ideas of apps such as Gnome-Do one step further. This is supposed to be a first step in redefining the user experience by making it activity-based instead of filesystem-based.

- And finally, gnome-shell. Much more than the simple addition of a menu, this is a project that aims to replace three core components at once: the desktop, the panel and the window manager and be heavily integrated with the aforementioned activity-based interaction. And they are pretty much taking no code from Compiz at all. The window manager is Mutter, a version of Metacity rewritten in the previously mentioned Clutter toolkit.

Beans
    Hidden!

As soon as this has settled its going to be awesome. Although I don't like gnome-shell in its current state since it takes away the wobbly windows, cube etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    Probably for the better to give themselves more time to get it ready rather than rushing to meet a deadline. The end result will probably mean something better.
    This I agree with, because for me I feel KDE4 was rushed so thats why I feel it was so bad for so long.
    If they dont rush it things will probably be good.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

That is a lot of text just to say,
    * We will continue developing GNOME like we used to, plus:
    * we will add a new way of theming

That plus the menu thing is all the desktop user will notice.
    In an effort to counter misinformation through selective reading of facts, I recommend everyone who read the above lines to actually read http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    In an effort to counter misinformation through selective reading of facts, I recommend everyone who read the above lines to actually read http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan.
    Give the massive flood of (misleading) Gnome3/Gnome-Shell related posts in the last days, I'd say this link deservers to be a sticky.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123