Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1132

Thread: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Laval, Québec
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    I'm sorry to double-post, but I'm not sure to know which of the thread is still active, if one of them is not visited anymore. Here is the content of the first, still applicable:

    I plan to buy this tablet soon, and I'd like to use it on Ubuntu (my reason here).

    I NEED the pen function, since I'm a student, to take notes in my courses. The touch function is optional for me, but I'd like to use it to the max of it's capabilities.

    If the pen works well, I could participate in the development under Ubuntu while I take notes, so I will have plenty of time to give feedback and test.

    I'm not very good in developement of driver, in fact, I don't know anything on this, but I'd like to learn.

    I'm running Karmic on inspiron 1501, and I plan to buy this since mid-december.

    So my question is: Is the pen reliable?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    116

    Arrow Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Hi sylaulove,

    From what I can tell, if you're using a desktop version of Ubuntu then the pen should work reliably in Karmic at least (I've had reliable pen and eraser function on three different kernels now - 2.6.28-15-generic in Jaunty and 2.6.31-14-generic and 2.6.31-15-generic in Karmic). From dnprossi's post above, the Karmic Netbook Remix seems to have problems though.

    I suspect if you follow Ayuthia's installation instructions in the first post here, I think you should be good to go.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    all over Europe
    Beans
    24
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Hello all and Ayuthia and favux in particular,

    Have been trying to understand what actualy is happening with my bamboo.

    Checking the wcm2 patches I noticed that they point to 2.6.28 kernel. Can't "diff" anything when I compare the 2.6.31 patched and unpatched 0.8.4-3 modules.
    I don't know how to compare binaries so, my question is:

    How come the 2.6.31 modules work only after being patched?
    Where's the trick that makes 'em work as they apparently do?

    Good luck,
    HarM

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Quote Originally Posted by marek_online View Post
    I suspect if you follow Ayuthia's installation instructions in the first post here, I think you should be good to go.
    I think you might want to use the instructions in post 541 on the other thread. This one is that is going to be under development quite a bit and may have versions where something might not work. The other thread is the one we are currently using for those who want to use the pen with the tablet.

    So to answer your question, both threads will be active. I do plan on moving the other thread to another name because the instructions are not in the first post but right now I want to make sure that this new version starts off where the other one left off.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    When someone has a chance, can they test out the touch without it being configured in the 10-linuxwacom.fdi file? I want to see if the evdev or some other driver grabs it and responds to touch. It will help us determine where we need to initiate the touch.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    all over Europe
    Beans
    24
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    When someone has a chance, can they test out the touch without it being configured in the 10-linuxwacom.fdi file? I want to see if the evdev or some other driver grabs it and responds to touch. It will help us determine where we need to initiate the touch.
    Can you be more specific, i.e. follow all the instructions and remove the fdi_patch itself or comment out lines or what?

    I've got some free space left for (xtra) clean installs to test on.
    Just say the word.

    Good luck,
    HarM

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Quote Originally Posted by HarM_triade View Post
    Hello all and Ayuthia and favux in particular,

    Have been trying to understand what actualy is happening with my bamboo.

    Checking the wcm2 patches I noticed that they point to 2.6.28 kernel. Can't "diff" anything when I compare the 2.6.31 patched and unpatched 0.8.4-3 modules.
    I don't know how to compare binaries so, my question is:

    How come the 2.6.31 modules work only after being patched?
    Where's the trick that makes 'em work as they apparently do?

    Good luck,
    HarM
    You can only do a "diff" on the source code, not on the binaries. If you take a look at the Makefile in the 2.6.31 directory, you will find that file will copy the source from the 2.6.28 and 2.6.27 folders and place them in the 2.6.31 directory. So when we apply the patches to the 2.6.28 directory it will also affect the 2.6.31 directory.

    So why do the patches make the device work? The kernel module looks up the model number of your device and checks to see if it is defined. This is done in wacom_wac.c. You will find that wacom_init_input_dev helps define what will be reported to X for the particular device. Then wacom_wac_irq will parse through the data that is coming from the device and then send it over to X with the appropriate wacom_report_* function. At the end of the source code, you will see the list of devices defined there. The devices that we are working on over here are the ones listed with BAMBOO_PT.

    Once the items are compiled in the 2.6.X directory, the wacom.ko file is created. This is the kernel module that reports the data to the X driver. In theory, the wacom.ko kernel module can report things to evdev also. However, the wacom.ko module may not report things in the correct order for the evdev module so you can end up with erratic behavior. This is why we have the wacom X module (the source code in the src/xdrv directory) wacom_drv.so.

    I hope that I answered your question. If not, hopefully it was helpful to someone. Anyone can feel free to add/correct this information.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Quote Originally Posted by HarM_triade View Post
    Can you be more specific, i.e. follow all the instructions and remove the fdi_patch itself or comment out lines or what?

    I've got some free space left for (xtra) clean installs to test on.
    Just say the word.

    Good luck,
    HarM
    I am just looking for the touch lines to be commented out of the .fdi file. I am thinking that we can still use the .fdi file and the touch portion will hopefully will be grabbed by another X driver instead of the wacom one:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
    
        <!-- Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch (models CTT-460 CTL-460 CTH-460,461,660) -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="input.originating_device" contains="if0">
          <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
            <merge key="info.product" type="string">stylus</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.DebugLevel" type="string">12</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.CommonDBG" type="string">12</merge>
              <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-wacom</append>
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">eraser</append>
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">pad</append>
    <!--
          <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">touch</append>
    -->
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="eraser">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">eraser</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="pad">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">pad</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
      <device>
    <!--
        <match key="input.x11_options.Type" contains="touch">
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">touch</merge>
        </match>
    -->
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    If the wacom_drv.so still grabs the touch portion, then we might need to remove the TOUCH_ID portion out of the code for the devices.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; November 11th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    all over Europe
    Beans
    24
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I am just looking for the touch lines to be commented out of the .fdi file. I am thinking that we can still use the .fdi file and the touch portion will hopefully will be grabbed by another X driver instead of the wacom one.
    Ok, will do, but not before Thursday afternoon. I didn't bring my bamboo home and my "ancient" serial tablet never had touch..... and on top, this is a 64 bit Desktop.

    What driver are you hoping for .... the synaptic?

    Good luck,
    HarM

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mount Horeb, WI
    Beans
    4,312
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

    Quote Originally Posted by HarM_triade View Post
    Ok, will do, but not before Thursday afternoon. I didn't bring my bamboo home and my "ancient" serial tablet never had touch..... and on top, this is a 64 bit Desktop.

    What driver are you hoping for .... the synaptic?

    Good luck,
    HarM
    Actually, I don't really have a preference on which driver takes it as long as the touch works. If it works, then we can get that source and see what it is doing to make the touch talk.

Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •