Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
What are the advantages of XFE again?

I can do well with KDE and Gnome (the former being my favorite), but I also wanted to see xfe. I downloaded the xubuntu CD and installed it in VirtualBox. At first I thought I had made a mistake and installed Gnome, but no, it was xfe. I guess looking the same as Gnome is OK, since the look is nice and functional. However, are there any benefits.

Many people say that XFE is "light-weight." However, all the default applications for xubuntu seem to be simply the corresponding Gnome applications (Firefox, Pidgin, Transmission ...) AFIK Gnome applications depend on common Gnome libraries and KDE applications depend on common KDE libraries (GTK and QT). So KDE applications load faster under KDE and Gnome applications load faster under Gnome. Under this logic I expected to see xfe applications that load fast under xfe. However, Gnome applications would in fact load slower under non-Gnome environment so in fact xfe should be slower. The only advantage that I can think of is a potential decrease in memory use, since libraries that are not used by any program at the moment would be removed from memory (or marked as disposable).

I did not "time" xfe since it would not be fair considering VirtualBox, however, from a purely theoretical stand point, it seems that it would not be faster at all.

Any comments/thoughts?
xfe?u mean xfe file manager?