Thread: ubuntu install

Beans

ubuntu install

I have HP Laser Jet 1320 printer connected to my usb, and im operating ubuntu server 9.04 or 9.10 not sure. As you probably allready know, this version of ubuntu does not have a GUI so I cant access the web interfacee for CUPS. I,ve tried to add the printer via lpadmin with little success. heres what I get

lpinfo -v

direct usb://HP/LaserJet%201320%20series

lpinfo -m

Foomatic: HP-LaserJet_1320-Postscript.ppd HP Laser Jet 1320 foomatic/Postscript

Ok? So then I try to add the printer.

lpadmin -p printer1 -v //HP/LaserJet%201320%20series -m HP-LaserJet_1320-Postscript.ppd
    lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file

I am baffled, what is the problem. I apologize for lack of information. please help.

Beans

Re: ubuntu install

you can still access the web interface through lynx if it makes things easier for you..?

apt-get install lynx

lynx 127.0.0.1:631

or....

you can open up the admin pages to other machines on the local network by editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and changing Allow localhost to Allow @LOCAL and then connect to your server machine on port 631.

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
    <Location /admin>
    Order allow,deny
    Allow localhost
    </Location>

just remember to change it back to Allow localhost once you're done. that's how i managed to configure my canon IP2000 as a network printer.
    Last edited by silvernewt; November 12th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by silvernewt View Post
    or....

you can open up the admin pages to other machines on the local network by editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and changing Allow localhost to Allow @LOCAL and then connect to your server machine on port 631.
    How do I connect to my server machine? Put the ip address in my web browser? 10.10.10.10:631 for example?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix1 View Post
    How do I connect to my server machine? Put the ip address in my web browser? 10.10.10.10:631 for example?
    That should work - try it!