Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xsane quits

Beans

Unhappy Xsane quits

I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 from 9.04 about two weeks ago. To date, I have had no issues. Today, I tried to scan a document with my HP Scanjet 3570c. This worked perfectly with Ubuntu 9.04. Now, XSane opens, I select the preview window, and select Acquire preview. The preview scan appears, and then XSane quits with no message.

I started the System Monitor, and then XSane. I saw the xsane process with a Waiting Channel of poll_schedule_timeout. When I chose Acquire preview, the Waiting Channel changed to pipe_wait. The staus was sleeping in both cases. Then the process disappears.

I tried scanning without a preview and got the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am just learning my way around Linux, so I am unsure of how to get any additional information.

Beans

Re: Xsane quits

I've got the same problem with the same scanner, karmic from a fresh install.
    This is the output:
    Code:
    :~$ xsane
    WARNING: Unhandled message: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable, path=/, member=Introspect

(xsane:7979): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(xsane:7979): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

first line is the more interesting, have you got the same line?

It seems sameway related to this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ne/+bug/446373
    No solution at this time...

Beans

I was having a similar problem with XSane yesterday. According to Oliver Rauch, the author of XSane, the SANE team has changed some things in the latest release of the backends that breaks compatibility. This was posted on the XSane web site in February...

"If you experience any problems with XSane and sane-backends with a version number greater than 1.0.19 then this may be caused by an incompatible development of sane-backends. In this case it may be worth to try sane-backends-1.0.19 or earlier. XSane is and will keep compatible to the original SANE-1.0 standard. I will not spend any time for incompatible things that will mess up everything."

Indeed if you look at the version numbers in Jaunty libsane is 1.0.19, whereas the one in Karmic is 1.0.20, so I suppose this kind of makes sense.

I went into Synaptic and removed xsane and its dependencies, then installed older versions from source. Now things are working again with my Canon scanner!

Download from:
    http://www.sane-project.org/source.html
    http://www.xsane.org/xsane-download.html

Hope that helps you guys too!

Similar threads and bug reports:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1320141
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ne/+bug/455889
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ne/+bug/478761

Beans

Question Re: Xsane quits

Okay, I understand what you did. However, I am not sure how to do it, as I have not installed anything from source as yet. Can you give me a little more guidance here? Could you just install libsane 1.0.19 rather than remove all of XSane since Oliver says he is maintaining compatibility with the 1.0 standard. If so, how do you just replace that? If not, how do you compile a version from source? Thanks.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Xsane quits

Marly, I do not get the first line you received. My result is:

Code:
    :~$ xsane

(xsane:20342): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(xsane:20342): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

Last edited by cscj01; November 12th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Beans

cscj01,

No problem. Here are the steps in detail. A lot of this could be done just as easily, or maybe even more easily through the terminal but the GUI is good too.

To remove xsane:

1. System | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager
    2. Search for libsane
    3. Click the box beside libsane and choose Mark For Removal.
    4. It will ask if you want to remove packages that depend on libsane. Click Mark.
    5. Click the Apply button and then confirm by clicking Apply again.

Install dependencies for xsane:

1. Still in Synaptic, search for and install libgimp2.0-dev.
    2. A bunch of dependencies will be needed. Click Mark.
    3. Click the Apply button and confirm by clicking Apply again.

Download and install libsane:

1. http://www.sane-project.org/source.html
    2. Download sane-backend-1.0.19.tar.gz from one of the mirrors. I had problems with the USA sites, but the Germany one worked well. It is in the old-versions directory. I'll assume you downloaded it to your Desktop.
    3. Right-click the file and select Extract Here.
    4. Open a terminal and enter cd ~/Desktop/sane-backends-1.0.19/.
    5. Enter ./configure. This makes sure you have everything you need.
    6. Enter make. This compiles the library inside the current directory.
    7. Enter sudo make install. This copies the library to where it needs to be.

Download and install xsane:

1. http://xsane.org/xsane-download.html
    2. Download xsane-0.996.tar.gz from one of the mirrors.
    3. Repeat the previous steps from the libsane install, substituting the xsane file or directory where appropriate.

As for only changing libsane, actually both of these will be installed in the /usr/local directory instead of /usr. When a program needs a library the /usr/local directory is always checked first, so I think you could get away with only doing libsane. (/usr is for programs from your distribution, whereas /usr/local is for programs you install yourself.) Actually you probably wouldn't even need to remove libsane in Synaptic, but if you did then you could be sure XSane would be using the 1.0.19 version.

Hope that takes care of everything!

Andy

Beans

Andy,

I downloaded the sane backends per your instructions. Then after extracting the archive, I ran ./configure. I received a warning that sane would be complied without USB support. Since my scanner (HP 3570c) is a USB device, and the message said the C++ compiler would be used, I decided to install the libusb C++ libraries. Then I ran ./compile again and got no warnings. So far so good.

I have a few more questions. I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED. The message about what backends would be built did not mention any Nikon Coolscan film scanners. Do I also need to download, compile, and install sane-extras? If so, do I do that after installing the sane backends and before installing XSane? Also, where are the extra backends? I did not see them at the German web site.

Thanks again for your help.

Beans

Nice pickup on the libusb libraries! I had upgraded instead of doing a fresh install so I didn't notice that.

As for the Nikon scanner, check out http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-NIKON. It looks like all you need for the CoolScan V ED is coolscan2. When I run configure it says it is going to build that so I'd say you don't need the extras. If your configure says it isn't going to build coolscan2 look through all the status messages to see if it mentions it. For example mine said it disabled the CANON_PP backend because it couldn't find the libieee1284 library.

Also, it sounds like you're getting close, but a poster on another thread just pointed out you can get the old Jaunty packages from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/. Assuming you have an Intel processor it looks like you'd want packages like libsane-extras_1.0.19.11_ubuntu2_i386.deb.

Beans

ADBrown85
    thank you for suggestions, installing version 1.0.19 of libsane solved the problem. I've downloaded Jaunty packages from launchpad.

I still don't understand the warning I get from the terminal, but at least now I'm able to scan again

Beans

Well, things are strange here. My scanner now works, but I'm not sure why. Here's the scoop.

1. I installed libsane-1.0.19 using the following commands:

./config
    make
    sudo checkinstall -D

This installed libsane-1.0.19 in /usr/local. I had assumed it would make a .deb package as well, but there does not seem to be one. I suppose this is why the libsane-1.0.19 package does not show when I do a dpkg -l.

2. I followed the same procedure for xsane-0.93. However, the install failed with a permissions failure on a usr/bin directory (I don't have the message because my terminal cache was too small, and I did a dpkg -l to see what packages were installed).

3. I launched XSane from the Applications/Graphics/XSane menu entry and XSane came up, but the Preview menu was blank.

4. I decided to look through usr/local directories to see if I could figure out what was happening. I found an xsane icon in /usr/local/share/applications labeled "XSane - Scanning" which launched XSane and worked; I can scan.

5. I found an xsane executable in usr/local/bin that also works as in 4 above.

6. The xsane executable in usr/bin does the same as the one on the Applications menu.

7. The dpkg -l command does not list either libsane-1.0.19 or xsane-0.93 as being installed. That makes sense for xsane-0.93 because of the message I received when trying to install it. However, I do not know why the libsane-1.0.19 package does not show up.

So, I am wondering about a few things.

1. Since the xsane-0.93 package installation failed, do I have any XSane 0.93 files lying around other than in the xsane-0.93 folder on my Desktop?

2. When a fix comes out for the XSane/Sane bug, how do I remove libsane-1.0.19 since dpkg does not show it as installed?

3. Can I safely delete the xsane-0.93, xsane-0.93.tar.gz, and sane-backends-1.0.19 folders from my Desktop?

4. I also have an xsane-0.996 folder on my Desktop from (I think) an extraction of the xsane-0.996.tar.gx folder (which is now in my Trash) that I must have done while I was attemptimg to install xsane-0.93. Do I assume corecctly that I do not need to try to install xsane-0.996?

All in all, this has been educational. I'm just not sure whether I know enough to be useful or just enough to be dangerous at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast