Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice for building a new machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Advice for building a new machine?

Congratulations on finally ordering the parts! You have shown much more patience than I can muster when buying new hardware or an entire system. I tend to face some regrets every once in a while, though.

Your decisions all seem sound, except perhaps the 9600GT (yes, yes, I mentioned this a few days ago already!), but it really depends on the type of games you want to play. I have to say, though, I was surprised at the demands of some titles. I picked up Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery, in the US) and expected my GTS 250 would run it with the highest settings in 1680x1050. Didn't work, I had to go down to high and medium, though I kept the highest setting for the water. This is one beautiful game.

Dragon Age (gets more hype than it deserves) was a medium candidate, too. That certainly reminded me that the GTS 250 is a repackaged 9800 GTX, which, by itself, is a powerful card, but getting dated. Games just get really greedy. I expect I'll buy a GTX 260 in a half a year or so. Can't go much higher, since my "be quiet!" PSU only has 550W, so the current top models are out of question (requiring 700W). Then again, I don't play that much, and I have gotten back into playing Go (Asian board game), so there is less time for video games. I wish I could get into, and stay into, console games. It would cause my PC component purchases to last much longer.

Anyway, I envy you for the low prices you have in the US. For the same system as yours, I would pay about 40% more over here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mivo View Post
    Congratulations on finally ordering the parts! You have shown much more patience than I can muster when buying new hardware or an entire system. I tend to face some regrets every once in a while, though.
    Well... I don't think I've been very patient! I was *going* to buy this computer in a few weeks in time for the term's end. I ended up deciding to buy it now so I can stop obsessing over it until it comes and just get some work done xD.

I'm guessing that, if anything, the 9600GT will be overkill for my needs. I basically don't play games anymore, the only game I've invested any time in the last few years has been AOE, the original - from 1997! I did see a game called "left 4 dead" that looked interesting though. I'm not really a fan of FPS games, but the co-op nature of L4D seems rather appealing. I'll likely buy a copy... if I can convince my friends to do the same! Looks like the 9600GT is more than enough for it too.

Anywhoo, thanks so much for sticking with me on this: I really appreciate all your help! Especially your advice to go with a midsized case and reputable PSU - I'm sure I would have regretted going with a miniATX case with a crappy power source.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusFabius View Post
    Hehe. Well, after all the reviews and comparisons I'd read, I was pretty set on the i5. My current CPU is not a core 2 duo, it is a core 1 duo xD. "hardinfo" reads it out as the T2400 @ 1.83GHz.

I figured as much. I just read up on "dual channel" memory. Will I need to place the memory in specific slots to make sure they're each in a separate channel - for best performance?

Oh, most definitely. OCing potential factored heavily, maybe too heavily, on my purchasing decisions. I plan to create a good bios profile for the i5 @ 4GHz .

My final component list came to:
    Intel Core i5-750
    GA-P55-UD3R Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 / 9-9-9-24
    Antec Three Hundred mid-size case
    EarthWatts EA650, 650W PSU
    Western Digital 2.5" internal HDD - 640GB
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } GN-WP01GS PCI Wifi card
    Asus NT9600GT 512MB/256-bit DDR3 (Nvidia 9600GT)
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Rosewill RCX-TC060 Thermal Paste
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus (hotsink)
    A Core Duo T2400 would be eaten alive by almost everything you can buy these days, Intel or AMD.

Yeah, you will need to make sure you put the RAM in the right slots. Read the (hopefully not as confusing as some) handbook that comes with your motherboard, it should tell you what slots are on what channel.

4Ghz from an i5 is far from impossible, but a 50% increase in clock speed isnt something you should bank on. If it does work, its going to spew some major heat. You might need to start doing some detail work if you want it to be stable at that speed, stuff like lapping the heatsink base, re-thermal compounding the northbridge/southbridge, making sure your cables arent cluttered, etc.

Those parts look fine (too late now anyways) but for one thing. A WD 2.5'' 640GB? Thats a 5400RPM laptop drive. Slower than a 3.5'' drive, and slower than a 7200 drive.

On Left 4 Dead, a friend of mine plays that on a XP6000+, 2GB DDR 800, 9600GT. It will run well on your system

@ mivo- Seriously? 40% more? *blinks* Those prices are very similar to what I pay in australia, and I'm prety sure that I've seen europeans get pretty much the same deals. Maybe theres some 'doesnt look like a computer store, in an industrial area' shop that sells cheaper stuff? (thats what its like here, if I went to the computer stores the prices are 10-50% higher)
    Last edited by cascade9; November 16th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Those parts look fine (too late now anyways) but for one thing. A WD 2.5'' 640GB? Thats a 5400RPM laptop drive. Slower than a 3.5'' drive, and slower than a 7200 drive.
    Newegg says the drive is "640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive". Maybe you were looking at the wrong page. Visit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136298

Also, I have a friend building a machine on a somewhat tighter budget and I passed along your suggestion to look at the Phenom II x3 - your advice wasn't *totally* lost on me...

It does look like a great processor for the price. Almost sad that AMD has had to cut prices so much...
    Last edited by QuintusFabius; November 17th, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

Beans

I actually wasn't looking at newegg. I never do unless someone links me there, I really dont like the site.

I aw 2.5'' and thought 'laptop drive', cause thats what they are. I take it that was a minor typo? Not that I can say anything about typos LOL.

WD Green Power drives are much nicer than a laptop drive.

BTW, newegg is wrong on 7200 RPM. Its 5400, not that it matters much. (WD says 'intelipower' but as far as I can trell, no-one has ever proved that the drive can change spindle speeds, and all the 'experts' I've seen have concurred its just 5400)

I'm running a 1TB WD Green (32MB cache model) as my main drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh, yeah. Must have been a typo if I wrote 2.5". I doubt I'll mind if it's 5400RPM, I've used such drives before and never seen much of a difference.

Thanks again for all the help!

Beans

No problem.

BTW, if you have an intrest in seeing the difference between 5400, 7200 and a few other things, this huge test is interesting-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...d-roundup.html

Anyway, good luck and I hope you enjoy your new machine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123