Thread: No DVD Drive detected in nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No DVD Drive detected in nautilus

Hi

I have a DVD drive on my laptop but Ubuntu doesn't show it in Nautilus and i cant play CDs or DVDs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! It may be that the drive doesn't work but I don't know how to find out..... My mum also has the same problem on her system but her DVD drive definitely did work before installing Ubuntu so it would be great to get hers working at least. Thanks a lot.......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No DVD Drive detected in nautilus

give this a try: sudo eject /dev/scd0 (an old trick from the forums, hope it works for you)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by byStanderone View Post
    give this a try: sudo eject /dev/scd0 (an old trick from the forums, hope it works for you)
    Hi

this is the output i got

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo eject /dev/scd0
    [sudo] password for ubuntu:
    eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/scd0'
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Beans
    Distro

...i see, you will have to do it the medibuntu way:

1. Load in your browser this url: http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg. This is the repository key file.
    2. From your browser menu select “File -> Save page as..” and save it somewhere temporarily, for example on your desktop.
    3. Now from the Ubuntu main menu, select “System -> System administration -> Software sources”. It will ask for your user password.
    4. In the “Other software” tab, press the add button, paste the following line and click “Add source”:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
    5. Change to the “Certificates” tab, press “Add key from file” and select the key file you have saved previously in your system.
    6. Click close and you are done. It will ask you to refresh the software sources catalog, so select to refresh it.

-courtesy of eval(life) doing it the gui way

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by byStanderone View Post
    ...i see, you will have to do it the medibuntu way:

1. Load in your browser this url: http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg. This is the repository key file.
    2. From your browser menu select “File -> Save page as..” and save it somewhere temporarily, for example on your desktop.
    3. Now from the Ubuntu main menu, select “System -> System administration -> Software sources”. It will ask for your user password.
    4. In the “Other software” tab, press the add button, paste the following line and click “Add source”:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
    5. Change to the “Certificates” tab, press “Add key from file” and select the key file you have saved previously in your system.
    6. Click close and you are done. It will ask you to refresh the software sources catalog, so select to refresh it.

-courtesy of eval(life) doing it the gui way

Hi

I have installed Medibuntu but i still have no DVD Drive!! Seems like a hardware problem maybe?? How would i tell?

thanks

Beans
    Distro

hi,

sorry...was out of town the last few days. sin you're on a laptop, a bit hard to swap drives to eliminate the problem, but have your tried installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras ? your needed codec might just be there...easier than changing drives, tho i hope you've came to a solution by this time.

Beans
    Distro

hi Standerone, yeah ive got the restricted extras installed already and still it dosent work, but i think its the drive that is knackered on my machine! Thats a great idea though for my mums machine, she has 9.04 installed but she can only play CDs even though she has a DVD drive, do you think the restricted extras will help her get DVDs to work?

thanks

Beans
    Distro

...yup, no harm in trying the restricted extras plus the medibuntu package.