Thread: Boot hangs for 5 seconds

Beans

Boot hangs for 5 seconds

Hello there.

When I boot Ubuntu 9.10 clean install on acer aspire 5410 It hangs for about 5 seconds. I've checked the dmesg and found this:

pci 0000:00:1a.7: EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug?) 01010001

Which I belive it's responsble for all this.

I've red the forum and found that if you in bios disable boot plug and play it fixes the problem. Problem is that in my motherboard there is no such option pap. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Boot hangs for 5 seconds

I just find out, that flashing the bios might help solved this prolbem. There is however one problem. I have no idea how to do this on a linux. I did a little research first. I found that the my current bios version is V1.15 on my Acer Aspire 5410. But if I go to a official page: http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.d...CRC=3713735360 Notebook -> Aspire -> Aspire 5410, even the picture shows it's ok. Then I select Bios and I see a bunch of versions there. And if I sort it by date I see that my bios was published on 2009/06/02 and the newest version is 1.31

However this is for WINDOWS. How can I flash bios on Linux. And any instructions or mini howto would be more than appriciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Boot hangs for 5 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by frojnd View Post
    Hello there.

When I boot Ubuntu 9.10 clean install on acer aspire 5410 It hangs for about 5 seconds. I've checked the dmesg and found this:

pci 0000:00:1a.7: EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug?) 01010001

Which I belive it's responsble for all this.

I've red the forum and found that if you in bios disable boot plug and play it fixes the problem. Problem is that in my motherboard there is no such option pap. Any help would be appreciated.
    Well, I know that it's possible to update your BIOS from windows.... how to do that in GNU/Linux, and specially, Ubuntu... I don't know:S

Sorry mate
    Asus Z53S Notebook>250GB HDD>2048GB Ram>Intel Core2Duo (2x1.5 GHz)>NviDia GForce 8400M>Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala'
    Registered Linux-User Nr. 499220 Registered Ubuntu-User Nr. 29472