Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to disable Compiz animations !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I want to disable Compiz animations !

- it seems that during the development of Karmic, it has been decided that Compiz Animations plugin would not be deactivable: is it the case or am I misunderstanding this point?
    I think you may be misunderstanding... I can right click on the desktop and under the visual effects tab, click NONE. Turns everything off. Read my next post first.
    Last edited by Druke; November 8th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This doesn`t really help you but I thought I`d pipe in.

The same behaviour is apparent with the window decoration plugin. I don`t like my windows decorated. I solved it by deleting /usr/bin/compiz-decorator (or whatever it was called - can`t check coz it`s gone)

I can`t find a similar thing for the animations though.

Beans
    Distro

oooooohhhhhhhh I understand, sorry for my dumb post above. Turning off the animations plugin in compiz isn't really a hack at all.

The animations are an extension of compiz, so if you want things like the fancy window decorators, desktop navigation and such, you simply disable the animations extension.

If you want none of the compiz stuff running, you can simply disable it like I said in my previous post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have no idea if this will work but try going into the gconf-editor and navigate apps > compiz > animations.

Then untick (uncheck) every box and reset every number to zero.

Although that won`t actually disable the plugins it may turn each individual one off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

or you could try removing ~/.gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/animation

Don`t know if that would mess things up though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I really dont get what you are trying to achieve
    the so called hack is how you adjust it
    I don't really know what a hack is though could someone PLEASE explain the term
    Live as if every day was your last

Learn as if you could live forever

Beans
    Distro

I think we're mainly seeing a language barrier, he has everything running correctly, just doesn't understand why methinks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don`t give a monkeys about compiz or any fancy stuff it does. All I know is it used to be the easiest way to take those silly window borders with - and x and soforth displayed on them.

In Karmic, compiz-config-settings manager won`t let you. Every time you uncheck (untick) the box it goes and puts it back in. I`m assuming the behaviour is the same for the animations plugin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Druke View Post
    oooooohhhhhhhh I understand, sorry for my dumb post above. Turning off the animations plugin in compiz isn't really a hack at all.
    I think there's a misunderstanding here. The problem is that I can't turn it off. If unchecked in CCSM, the checkmark comes back automatically. This was not the case before Karmic and the Animations plugin could be disabled.

I consider the solution given above a hack because I find it quite "ugly" to delete preferences for a plugin (removing all the effets in that case) rather than being able to disable the plugin itself. Ok, it works but if I want animations tomorrow, I have to set back all the effects and remove them when I don't want the animations anymore.

What I don't understand is why Animation (and maybe others) can't be disabled anymore. To me it looks like a bug but from the other thread, it seems that it's a "feature".

Again, this behaviour appeared in Karmic. If you're running Jaunty or older and can't see what my problem is, it's normal.
    But if you are running Karmic and can disable the Animations plugin in CCSM, there must be a problem somewhere on my system.

I'll try the Gconf key to see if disabling Animations there works. Or if it breaks Compiz.

EDIT : I can confirm the same behaviour with the Windows Decoration plugin : can't turn it off either. Why the hack can't we decide how we want to setup Compiz anymore ?

Beans

Read the thread that the OP posted...it contains the work around:

Read the very first post on this page.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1280562&page=2

It details exactly how to fix it. The thread also details why it is forced to enabled too....its quite interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast