Just like to say thanks to VirtualFab for the help on the mounting with options. You saved me hours of searching the internet. Sound.
1. Check dmesg for the TV card you are using.
dmesg | grep bttv0
[ 10.679237] bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:03:06.0, irq: 20, latency: 32,
detected: Hauppauge WinTV [card=10], PCI subsystem ID is 0070:13eb
[ 10.679281] bttv0: 0070:13eb
[ 10.679284] bttv0: using: Hauppauge (bt878) [card=10,autodetected]
[ 10.679319] bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffffdb [init]
[ 10.681808] bttv0: Hauppauge/Voodoo msp34xx: reset line init 
[ 10.713248] bttv0: Hauppauge eeprom indicates model#44805
10.713250] bttv0: tuner absent
[ 10.713253] bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
[ 10.713788] bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
[ 10.714324] bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
[ 10.732527] bttv0: registered device video0
[ 10.732580] bttv0: registered device vbi0
[ 10.732613] bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 .. ok
2. If your card is detected correctly you should have the card number and the tuner number. My card number is 10, The device number is 0070:13eb.
My card was correctly detected and the tuner was not as highlighted. If your card was not detected google the device number....... (or to be really technical the PCI subsystem ID).Code:Hauppauge WinTV [card=10], PCI subsystem ID is 0070:13eb.
NOTE: You can find the card and tuner numbers at the following websites:
(Before you ask the numbers that you take are the ones that start with a zero; ie tuner=0 - Temic
PAL (4002 FH5) )
Card numbers for bttv:
Tuner numbers are at:
3. To find out the tuner number you first have to find out the make and model. To do that run the following command:
dmesg | grep tuner
I got the following output:
4. Now comes the hard part. trawling through the internet to find what your looking for. Google is your friend in this step. I googled both tveeprom 1-0050 and TCL 2002MI_3H and found on the following from an arcive during the development of the driver.Code:[ 10.713237] tveeprom 1-0050: tuner model is TCL 2002MI_3H (idx 98, type 4) [ 10.713250] bttv0: tuner absent
5. From the article I can see that I need to set the tuner number to 55 if I have no radio and 37 if I have a radio. I have to unload the bttv0 and the tuner modules first (if it's loaded) with the following command:
sudo rmmod bttv
6. Next I have to set the device numbers ( the card number and the tuner number ). With the following command:
sudo modprobe bttv card=10 tuner=55
7. To automate the commands create a file in /etc/modules.d called bttv.conf or something like that with the following command:
sudo gedit /etc/modules.d/bttv.conf
8. Then all you do is paste the following lines into the file:
And thats it!!!Code:options bttv card=10 tuner=55
Now I'm going to explain how to watch TV; The program that I like to use is Tvtime. You can get it
sudo apt-get install tvtime
The installer will ask you whether you use PAL or NTSC and what part of the world you are.
1. Go to Applications > Sound & Video > Tvtime Television Viewer to launch the application.
2. Left click the screen > Channel Management > Disable signal detection.
3. Surf through the channels by pressing 1 [Enter], 2 , 3 etc....
4. When you find a channel you can fine tune it by going to Channel Management > Finetune Current Channel.
5. You can rename the channel numbers by going to Channel Management > Rename current channel.
6. Sit back relax and watch a bit of telly. :popcorn:
If there is anybody that has any trouble understanding the instructions or would like to edit them please post below.