Thread: Google earth

Beans

Google earth

Hello All.
    I have ubuntu 8.04 and am trying to load Google earth.
    I have downloaded from the Google earth site and when I click on the icon in the applications menu the first page of google earth appears [just a stationary globe] for a few seconds,then the screen goes black and the PC restarts.
    I have also tried downloading it from synaptic and exactly the same thing occurs.What am I doing wrong,or is there something I am not doing correctly?
    Thanks for any help.
    I have uninstalled the previous attempts but I cannot remove the google earth icon from the applications>internet, menu.any tips on that too,thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Google earth

Quote Originally Posted by wombil View Post
    Hello All.
    I have ubuntu 8.04 and am trying to load Google earth.
    I have downloaded from the Google earth site and when I click on the icon in the applications menu the first page of google earth appears [just a stationary globe] for a few seconds,then the screen goes black and the PC restarts.
    I have also tried downloading it from synaptic and exactly the same thing occurs.What am I doing wrong,or is there something I am not doing correctly?
    The Synaptic package is a tool you have to run manually in a terminal, did you do this?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

No David,I just downloaced it and it put another icon on the applications menu and I thought that was it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2009/03/20/how-to-install-google-earth-5-on-ubuntu/

if you've followed these steps then all should be fine so then it may be another issue.
    Last edited by pootan; November 8th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.

Beans

Hi pootan,
    I have successfully downloaded the file GoogleEarthLinux.bin and followed the instructions in tombuntu to install and the boxes tell me it is installed but as you say it crashes when opened.
    When ~/googleearth/googleearth is entered in the terminalthe message is "No Directory".
    I have oened the google earth folder but cannot find the file , libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    many other files are there;libcollada.so ,libcommon.so
    libcomponentframework.so , libcurl.so.4 , libevil.so
    etc,etc.
    when I try to open any of these a message appears,
    "cannot open,there is noapplication installedfor this file type.These files are represented by a blue diamond with 2 gear wheels on them.
    Any idea where to go from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok I can't help too much on this issue as I am running 9.10 at the moment and Google Earth 5 is all that is offered to me, which works fine. I have done a quick search on these forums and most of the issiues seem to be with running the latest version of Google Earth on an older version of Ubuntu. I did however come across this page which tells you to install Google Earth 4.3. Perhaps you could try this and see if it works for you.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/...on-ubuntu-804/

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: Google earth

Follow the instructions on this site for installing Google Earth: Tombuntu: How To Install Google Earth 5 On Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Perhaps a little info about your system might help here. I run GoogleEarth on 8.04, have an nVida card 8600GT, and 2Gb of memory. I do know that Earth is resource heavy. Perhaps you have insufficient memory or are not using the correct video drivers.