Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.10 freezes on start up after upgrade from 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

9.10 freezes on start up after upgrade from 9.04

So I had a nearly-fresh install of 9.04 on this computer. I didn't feel like waiting for the 9.10 livecd to finish downloading, so I used the upgrade function in update manager to get to 9.10.

It does its thing, finishes the upgrade, boots up, I see the desktop and all the pretty new icons, then as soon as I do anything like launch a program or it freezes. I can't move the cursor, click on anything, nothing. This has repeated itself consistently over several reboots. One time it even froze while launching a program: it was stuck on one frame of the compiz "open new window" animation.

So I stuck in my 9.10 livecd (which had finished dl'ing on my other computer by this point) and the exact same thing happened, even when I tell it to "install ubuntu" directly and not "try ubuntu".

In grub I still had the old linux kernel from 9.04. It booted into that fine, except the touchpad on my laptop didn't work. I was able to use a USB mouse. I installed synaptic touchpad manager and it gave me an error, saying I needed to modify something in xorg.conf that wasn't there.

I'm thinking of just reinstalling 9.04 and giving up on 9.10, but I thought I would check to see if there were any relatively simple solutions to this.

Beans

Re: 9.10 freezes on start up after upgrade from 9.04

I'm havving the same problem. Pretty much fresh install of 9.04 and just did the upgrade. seems to work ok if I load up gnome failsafe otherwise it freezes when you try to launch a major program - "terminal" works without freezing.

Beans

I can load 9.10, it comes up to the desktop, but then it freezes requiring a restart. I loaded Kubuntu to see if it would load and it loaded and ran fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by rustic23 View Post
    I loaded Kubuntu to see if it would load and it loaded and ran fine.
    Must be a gnome problem of some sort then, but hell if I know

Beans

Same problem. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10. On booting, I could sometimes get a few mouse clicks to work, and then the system would freeze; most times it would freeze immediately.

I reinstalled 9.04, and everything worked fine. I then (Doh!) tried the live CD system, and the system froze just as above.

I can provide hardware specs if anyone is interested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

lurk.
    lurk in the forums. search them out using keywords such as upgrade with your video card or your motherboard, etc.

see who else with similar hardware to you has similar problems. see how they fixed it.

no harm in staying with 9.04 for a couple weeks

Beans

I have the same problem. 9.04 worked perfectly fine then problems started when I upgraded to 9.10. A word of caution, wait until upgrading.....

I'm hoping that at some point, a patch will be available to fix all this. Very very annoying.

I'll be working with Windows for another while, until I read that something has been done to fix these problems with 9.10.

Too bad though, I really wanted to change OS.

Luc

Beans

Angry Re: 9.10 freezes on start up after upgrade from 9.04

I have a computer I have been upgrading with update manager since 8.04 to 9.04; never had a problem until now. Same problem as many others; seems to boot normally all the way to the normal desktop, then it locks up. Must be hard reset to reboot and then the same thing happens. I would have waited or booted from the live CD first but I had some "help"......

Beans

I've had the same problem as described before. I can use the system under the "GNOME failsafe" option available at log-in, but I have limited privileges and no wireless connectivity. I'll be re-installing 9.04 later today, and I'll anxiously await 9.11...

Beans

Does anyone have any solutions for this freezing issue? I have been running 9.04 just fine but when I installed 9.10 from a live cd the computer fails to connect to the internet most of the time and freezes after every boot within a few minutes. I am running Toshiba M105S1021 with Western Digital 320GB blue caviar hard drive. For now I'm going back to 9.04 and will not return to 9.10 until someone finds a fix for these problems. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast