Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Problem with xset dpms force off

Re: Problem with xset dpms force off

Hey guys,

You're encouraged to take a look at my workaround and let me know how it works.

Cheers,
    Laci

Beans

Smile Re: Problem with xset dpms force off

Screen blanking at random times

I have a Fujitsu laptop Lifebook and I am using Ubuntu 12.10. Since I upgraded to this version of Ubuntu I experienced random screen blanking each few minutes, like a "blank" screensaver. I solved this issue for myself, but I want to describe it here for others.

The unsuccesful way I tried to solve this issues:

I disabled dpms and screensaver but something re-enabled it and blanked the screen.
    The methods how I tried to disable the dpms and screensaver are:
    1) Launched this script:
    xset dpms force on
    xset s noblank
    xset s off
    xset -dpms
    2) I put in /etc/rc.local these commands:
    setterm -blank 0 -powerdown 0
    echo -ne "\033[9;0]" >> /etc/issue
    3) Added a new file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-paul-dpms.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "false"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "monitor"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    EndSection

4) All of the above with minor changes

The problem still persisted.

The successfull workaround:

Today (after many days of random screen blanking) I noticed that it is somehow related with the WiFi Internet connection. Indeed, after I turned off and on the router, the screen blanked imediately after wifi reconnection (usually after few seconds).
    So, decided to monitor the dbus system messages with the command: dbus-monitor --system

I noticed that always just before screen blanking there is a "lock" message where Interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.IdleNotifier:

--------dbus system monitor log----------------------
    signal sender=:1.20 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3397 path=/org/freesmartphone/Device/IdleNotifier/0; interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.IdleNotifier; member=State
    string "idle_dim"
    signal sender=:1.4 -> dest=(null destination) serial=2978 path=/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0; interface=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Wi reless; member=PropertiesChanged
    array [
    dict entry(
    string "Bitrate"
    variant uint32 1000
    )
    ]
    signal sender=:1.20 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3399 path=/org/freesmartphone/Device/IdleNotifier/0; interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.IdleNotifier; member=State
    string "idle_prelock"
    signal sender=:1.20 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3401 path=/org/freesmartphone/Device/IdleNotifier/0; interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.IdleNotifier; member=State
    string "lock"
    signal sender=:1.4 -> dest=(null destination) serial=2979 path=/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/0; interface=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AccessPoi nt; member=PropertiesChanged
    [screen shuts down here]

[I move the mouse and after less than one minute...]
    signal sender=:1.4 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3000 path=/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0; interface=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Wi reless; member=AccessPointRemoved
    object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/15"
    signal sender=:1.4 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3001 path=/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/0; interface=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.AccessPoi nt; member=PropertiesChanged
    array [
    dict entry(
    string "Strength"
    variant byte 81
    )
    ]
    signal sender=:1.20 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3424 path=/org/freesmartphone/Device/IdleNotifier/0; interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.IdleNotifier; member=State
    string "idle_prelock"
    signal sender=:1.20 -> dest=(null destination) serial=3426 path=/org/freesmartphone/Device/IdleNotifier/0; interface=org.freesmartphone.Device.IdleNotifier; member=State
    string "lock"

[screen shuts down here again]
    ----------------------------------

So, the process which sent the message is "fsodeviced" (from "fso-deviced" package, the freesmartphone.org). I uninstalled the "fso-deviced" package and the problem went away.

So, for anyone looking a solution to this annoying problem, this is the workaround. If you need more help on debugging this issue, I will reinstall this package in order to provide more useful data.

Paul

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567