Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel Panic when trying to install 6.10

Beans

Re: Kernel Panic when trying to install 6.10

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    9.10 has caused some people here issues, but it could easily be a bad burn
    I did have her check the Ubuntu live cd I burned. Indeed, it has 1 error in one file. That CD was burned at 32x speed. I burned her a new one at 4x speed and mailed it to her today.

HOWEVER, let me make it clear that I had installed it on that box at my house and used it for several days and no problems.

Curious, at her home, when she opens Firefox it does say something like welcome to Verizon and something about get ready for a great experience and options to install which we tried all attempts to install. I think it was coming from the modem, not the net, however, the Verizon message did not come on when I told her to unplug the modem from the wall and keep cpu connected to modem [but she had to leave and we only tried that once]. So there is some indication that it is perhaps connecting to the internet on some level [but now browser or emaill.

I personally have had asthmatic bronchitis and a very hoarse voice. So me talking her through trying to help her for hours is really straining me and she is sure frustrated. One person on the forums here is already calling her to help her, and I sure thank his assistance. Anyone and everyone here that thinks they can help, private mssg me and I'll give you her home phone numbers. She is desperate to get this to work and eager to get all your phone calls for help. She lives in West Virginia [U.S.]. She can call you if you want to divulge a private phone number.

p.s. How much would Conical support cost her? I'm willing to pay myself to get this fixed at this point.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    It is worth re-downloadoing and re-burning the CD. Try to burn slowly - at 4x if possible.

There is a memory test option on the CD, I think. It might be worth a shot, but I think a bad CD is more likely.

Mint is based on Ubuntu - they have incorporated lots of non-free stuff into the default install that Ubuntu needs you to install afterwards - codecs, video drivers and so on. If a second burn of Ubuntu still panics, then it might be a good idea to try mint. Also, having a friend who knows mint might be useful - someone to ask when you need answers.
    Did the burn slowly and mailed it to her - she will get it Monday, U.S. eastern time. I will also do the memory test with her from live CD [she is away for 1.5 hours but will try that next after trying one more attempt at a complete formatting and reinstalling the Ubuntu.

I did have her unconnect her printer, as someone told me plugged in peripherals can cause a Kernel attack. It could even be the Verizon dsl line connected to it. It could be the keyboard or mouse, but it's fairly hard to test that when doing a reinstall as you need them.

I will have her try Mint if need be, but would much prefer to keep her in the Ubuntu realm as I can help her with an operating system, living 2.5 hours away, when I'm using the same Ubuntu on many systems here in my house and am familiar with Ubuntu now [much like when she used mac os x I was also using it and could help her much easier on the phone]. Plus, Ubuntu is the most popular version of Linux, which has its rewards when even 3rd party companies [like Sun systems] release software.

I pasted the other reply I made to the other person below - if anyone has read it already, save yourself time now:

I did have her check the Ubuntu live cd I burned. Indeed, it has 1 error in one file. That CD was burned at 32x speed. I burned her a new one at 4x speed and mailed it to her today.

HOWEVER, let me make it clear that I had installed it on that box at my house and used it for several days and no problems.

Curious, at her home, when she opens Firefox it does say something like welcome to Verizon and something about get ready for a great experience and options to install which we tried all attempts to install. I think it was coming from the modem, not the net, however, the Verizon message did not come on when I told her to unplug the modem from the wall and keep cpu connected to modem [but she had to leave and we only tried that once]. So there is some indication that it is perhaps connecting to the internet on some level [but now browser or emaill.

I personally have had asthmatic bronchitis and a very hoarse voice. So me talking her through trying to help her for hours is really straining me and she is sure frustrated. One person on the forums here is already calling her to help her, and I sure thank his assistance. Anyone and everyone here that thinks they can help, private mssg me and I'll give you her home phone numbers. She is desperate to get this to work and eager to get all your phone calls for help. She lives in West Virginia [U.S.]. She can call you if you want to divulge a private phone number.

p.s. How much would Conical support cost her? I'm willing to pay myself to get this fixed at this point.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    when the live cd loads does it get to the menu. If so choose check cd for defects. At least then you know the cd is ok.
    Have done that and there is one defect in one file folder.

To reiterate, and if you're getting this via email to read in real time, I'll paste my reply to others below to help you understand:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12