Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Logo" for My Custom Ubuntu Based "Distro"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"Logo" for My Custom Ubuntu Based "Distro"

So I decided to make my own "distro" based on ubuntu the other day. Actually, it is not even worth calling it a distro, as it is just a heavily modified Ubuntu live cd. Its alot like crunchbang linux.

I decided that I would need to make a logo for the thing if I was going to go so far as to call it its own distro. I'm not exactly a graphic designer, but I tried my hand with GIMP and I was pleased. This logo is basically a result of me trying to combine the crunchbang "#!" with the ubuntu logo, using this color palette: link

What do you guys think of it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: "Logo" for My Custom Ubuntu Based "Distro"

I like it thats really cool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What does this logo mean? It is not self explanatory. What it tells me is "Our project wanted to make a cool thing but without much thought it died young."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You should probably make it in inkscape instead of the gimp. That'll give you much cleaner lines, and resizability.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like it. The rounded rectangle shape gives it a web 2.0 feel. If that what you were going for, I would suggest removing the black background. Also, like the guy above me said, Inkscape would make your lines look cleaner and will allow your logo to be resized with pixelation.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by alex.rayu View Post
    What it tells me is "Our project wanted to make a cool thing but without much thought it died young."
    Precisely. Without an idea, an emotion or an intention (besides a vague one like looking "cool"), it is pretty much lost in space.
    And, I believe, that is valid for your distro's intentions as well.

It would be good for an highway super-cars sunny-California themed game, though.
    Last edited by Glucklich; November 7th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal Governments..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would make the 'light source' come from the upper left instead of the upper right. Keep the black inside the square part and lose the black on the outside. Keep the offset at 45 degrees as in the first example.

Maybe add some faded reflection at the bottom.
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alex.rayu View Post
    What does this logo mean? It is not self explanatory. What it tells me is "Our project wanted to make a cool thing but without much thought it died young."
    I don't know, I haven't really applied much thought as to its "meaning," its just a project I wanted to do because it looked fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    You should probably make it in inkscape instead of the gimp. That'll give you much cleaner lines, and resizability.
    I know, man. I have played around with the vector stuff and I love it. I only did this with GIMP because I am more familiar with it. I need to learn how to use inkscape

Quote Originally Posted by a_z1_9scores View Post
    I like it. The rounded rectangle shape gives it a web 2.0 feel. If that what you were going for, I would suggest removing the black background. Also, like the guy above me said, Inkscape would make your lines look cleaner and will allow your logo to be resized with pixelation.
    Thanks, I also really like the round feeling it had.

I tried tracing this bitmap image to a vector image with inkscape, but it doesn't play nicely with the gradients for some reason. I think I am going to have to redo the whole thing in inkscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Glucklich View Post
    Precisely. Without an idea, an emotion or an intention (besides a vague one like looking "cool"), it is pretty much lost in space.
    And, I believe, that is valid for your distro's intentions as well.

It would be good for an highway super-cars sunny-California themed game, though.
    Im not really trying to establish a project or an idea, but looking cool is a goal for this icon/logo. Speaking of sunny-California, this "distro" will be named something along the lines of "Sunshine Linux" or "SunOS" or something like that. Any combination of Sunshine and *nix will do, I have to pick a good one. The logo sorta looks like an "S" when it is reflected properly so I think I could incorporate that into the text.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaLexman View Post
    I would make the 'light source' come from the upper left instead of the upper right. Keep the black inside the square part and lose the black on the outside. Keep the offset at 45 degrees as in the first example.

Maybe add some faded reflection at the bottom.
    I have attached an image with the light changed as you said.

There is actually no black outside the border, there is just transparency. I guess the black got there as a result of uploading the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It looks pretty good, although I'd recommend simplifying the colors, or lose the gradient alltogether.

Try and make it black and white without a gradient and see how that looks. Then do the same but make the white in a "silvery" colour.

I think that'll look great

but otherwise - GJ!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nicer!
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 - Fedora 13 - Goddard
    Desktop: Self-Built - [Ku, Lu, Xu, U]buntu - Lucid 10.04.3 (LTS)
    Linux User: 498249 / Ubuntu User: 29241

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast