Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Software Center won't start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Software Center won't start

I'm on 10.04.1 LTS desktop. Switch from gnome to KDE.

I just noticed a problem where I could not load the Ubuntu Software Center. Followed the instructions above.

Still doesn't work. At one point KPackage reported:

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Error Type:
    Error Value: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, exceptions.SystemError found
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2216, in
    main()
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2213, in main
    run(args, options.single)
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2175, in run
    backend.dispatcher(args)
    File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 699, in dispatcher
    self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
    File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 606, in dispatch_command
    self.refresh_cache(force)
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 202, in _locked_cache
    func(*args, **kwargs)
    File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1498, in refresh_cache
    format_string(error.message))
    File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 723, in format_string
    txt = unicode(text, encoding, errors='replace')

The message has not recurred, however the Software Center still won't load.

when I ran "sudo apt-get update" I received error:

Hit http://us.archive.ubuntu.com lucid-updates/multiverse Sources
    Err http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid/main Packages
    404 Not Found
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa/ub...64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Last edited by ProntoAnthony; October 18th, 2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added more info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pguedes View Post
    I too ave the same problem and I'tried the solution presented But I always get the same (bad result)

Just Solved!!!! I've followed a French Ubuntu Forum:

Just go to Synaptic, and search by python, and mark for reinstalation all the packages that you already have installed.

Worked like a Charm!
    software-center wouldn't start anymore in 10.10 and this trick solved my problem

Thanks very much!

Beans

so i was trying to run minecraft and i found a tutorial that told me to install the Canonical Partner repository *as the first step* by typing

# sudo apt-get-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" && sudo apt-get update

i tried to open up the software center almost immediately afterwards and it wouldn't launch. i didn't notice right away, but i tried another time and when it failed to start up i restarted my computer. now there's a giant red circle with a white dash in the middle, and when i click on it the update manager pops up and says

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:
    'E:Malformed line 59 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)' is the error message I get.

i've tried the commands listed in OP's post; none worked. Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Attika View Post
    so i was trying to run minecraft and i found a tutorial that told me to install the Canonical Partner repository *as the first step* by typing

# sudo apt-get-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" && sudo apt-get update

i tried to open up the software center almost immediately afterwards and it wouldn't launch. i didn't notice right away, but i tried another time and when it failed to start up i restarted my computer. now there's a giant red circle with a white dash in the middle, and when i click on it the update manager pops up and says

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:
    'E:Malformed line 59 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)' is the error message I get.

i've tried the commands listed in OP's post; none worked. Help?
    The instructions are for lucid. If you were running some other version of ubuntu then trying to use these instructions could cause this kind of mess. In any case adding that repository was obviously a really bad idea - so you want to get rid of it. Since you have update manager running then click on settings and look in other software for the repository you just added. Remove it and run sudo apt-get update again to reinitialize your package information.

I'm not really a linux guru - but this is what I'd do to try to back out of the situation you are in. I note that your bug really isn't related to the rest of this very old thread. You should start a new thread.
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pguedes View Post
    I too ave the same problem and I'tried the solution presented But I always get the same (bad result)

Just Solved!!!! I've followed a French Ubuntu Forum:

Just go to Synaptic, and search by python, and mark for reinstalation all the packages that you already have installed.

Worked like a Charm!
    I had this same problem and THIS was the solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12