Karmic: Skype lists pulseaudio but not ALSA
I have installed Skype 126.96.36.199 on a new Karmic install. I notice that when I open the audio device preferences only "pulseaudio (local)" is listed. I am missing the ALSA devices - they usually showed up in Hardy - even with pulseaudio running.
What do I have to install to allow Skype to use ALSA on Karmic ?
SOLVED: Re: Karmic: Skype lists pulseaudio but not ALSA
I solved the problem by going back to Skype version 188.8.131.52.
It is a shame that Skype forces linux users to use a buggy beta by removing all download options for 2.0.0.x. But Medibuntu is the answer:
I do not recommend installing the .debs as the system will start holding back upgrades because of Jaunty / Karmic version conflicts!
Download the source package called skype_184.108.40.206.orig.tar.gz instead and proceed in this way:
- completely uninstall any existing Skype 2.1 installation (regardless if Medibuntu repo or .deb from Skype website was used).
- extract skype-220.127.116.11.tar.bz2 from skype_18.104.22.168.orig.tar.gz
- tar -xjf skype-22.214.171.124.tar.bz2 (or use your favourite archiver program to extract the contents of this file)
- put the resulting skype-126.96.36.199 folder in a location you like (/usr/local or home folder).
- start "skype" within this folder - or create an Icon / Launcher in your Desktop (KDE / Gnome) menu by using the icon files in the skype-188.8.131.52 folder.
- within Skype go to the "Options" and then "Notifications" to set the proper path to the sound files.
Last edited by scotty64; November 9th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Re: Karmic: Skype lists pulseaudio but not ALSA
downgrading to previous version was indeed the only solution I found to solve my sound issues. There is however an easier way to do it through the Synaptic Package Manager:
- add "http://packages.medibuntu.org/ jaunty free non-free" to your repositories (in Settings-Repositories-Other Software)
- look for skype
- and Force version 184.108.40.206 (jaunty) (in Package-Force Version)
Re: SOLVED: Re: Karmic: Skype lists pulseaudio but not ALSA
Thanks a lot for this post that helped me on my issue described in the question on the link below:
Originally Posted by scotty64
Last edited by Savicava; August 8th, 2011 at 09:02 AM.