Thread: Volume Control Issues

Beans

Exclamation Volume Control Issues

I just did a clean install from Intrepid Ibex to Karmic Koala, everything is perfect except when I try to control volume either manually or through the buttons on the front of my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop, the bar will be 1/4 full before the volume even comes on. When it does come on it only plays out of the left speaker at 100% volume. When I increase the bar to full, the volume does not change because it is already at 100%, rather it now plays out of both speakers. I never had this problem in 8.10.

To make sure it was a OS problem and not my hardware, I reinstalled Intrepid Ibex (8.10) and everything worked perfectly. Except this time I used the update manager to upgrade from 8.10 > 9.04 > 9.10, and the volume is still giving me issues. I love my music and movies, and this is a big pain to deal with. I check the update manager everyday to see if there is a fix to this problem. I am not new to using Ubuntu, but when it comes to checking my hardware and typing code I am completely clueless.

So if you have any suggestions as to how to fix this, please include step by step instructions and if I need to use the terminal please tell me what to type.

Thank you So much
    Duke

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Volume Control Issues

It almost seems to me that your hotkeys are adjusting balance rather than volume. Try making sure balance is set to the middle, then re-assign your hotkeys to adjust the volume, see if that works.

Beans

How would you exactly go about assigning the hotkeys?

Beans

okay so i went into the keyboard shortcuts and made sure my hotkeys were assigned to the appropriate function. the Sound is still all messed up. Could it be something wrong with Ubuntu compatibility with my hardware...my roommate said they did alot of power management in relation to sound...i know my sound card worked perfectly in Ibex, and im thinkin about downgrading back to that. Unless someone can help me figure out how to fix this issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the exact same problems on the same model laptop. :/ You can adjust the volume for a program by going into the System > Preferences > Sound menu and adjust the bar under the 'Applications' tab, but it is really unacceptable. If you decide to downgrade, your volume should work in Jaunty as I had no problems with sound in that version.