Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: wubi - kernel panic - not syncing VFS...

Beans

Re: wubi - kernel panic - not syncing VFS...

Seriously guys, is anybody at least trying to solve this problem?? Does developers know that many people have lost their installations because of... what? Upgrades?
    This is a huge problem, and folks at launchpad have failed to even mark the importance of this bug... Is this all the support that the community can provide?

And please, do not state that people should use "real installations" instead of wubi, for wubi is very popular and pubblicized to spread linux, and is included in --every-- ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu/minor flavor versions.
    If wubi is going to be THAT instable, then please do not include it as a standard feature: am I right or what?

Sorry for my rant, but this is a major issue that seems to be highly ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was greeted with a kernel panic message this morning, but fortunately, I only had 9.10 installed for a couple of days, so I lost very little. 99% of my files were backed up anyway.

As I had installed via WUBI, I just deleted it. As I have to retain VISTA on the new laptop (until I actually own it), I can't do a stand-alone install.

Lucky, eh!

I'll give it a couple of days before re-installing the WUBI way (and just think, I had finally sorted out my wireless problem!).

Beans

Hi all,
    I currently have the same problem : wubi, xubuntu karmic koala, upgrade, fail.
    I posted a help message on the french forum but it doesn't get much attention. I guess all the linux gurus are too occupied compiling obscure wifi adapter drivers to help the mainstream users.
    All that to say, keep posting, maybe somehow someone will finally help us
    ps: I also have my /grub directory empty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: wubi - kernel panic - not syncing VFS...

same here..
    problem is I am new to the whole Linux game.. and it seems that this has been lingering on for a while..

I originally decided to install ubuntu as I was told it is more stable than MS Windows!!

Beans

It IS more stable, the bug we are dealing with has to do with some wubi shenannighens, wich is not a component if the OS, but an "abstraction layer" of the hard drive, or something like that: what I am saying is that if wubi is the source of many problems, including this one, then WHY include it as an install option? This way the community has to deal with many more bugs and complains from new users which, after have an useless installation, will simply turn back to MS or Apple and never look back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hmm.. I know that it IS from a pure "OS" and a technical prospective..
    but when you look from a simple business user prospective.. it ain't working.. and it's the newest version!!

I lost about 5% of my new files in the process.. before installing I had a back up and that counts for 95% of my files..

I've been reading up on this forum as well as other.. this is a base problem or so it seems.. it has been around for a while and it is not being addressed.. and I would quote figosound "wubi is the source of many problems" hence most non-technical users (or users who do not have the luxury of time) would hit this wall and turn to other systems with out looking back..

Personally, I won't give up on it yet

Beans

Neither i won't (in fact the machine i had set up for family bizniz is running ubuntu 9.04 flawlessly and with my great pleasure), but it seems that this kind of problem is not worth for attention from developers...

Beans

Still no news ? This sucks. They shouldn't do this Wubi stuff unless it's safe. I've installed Ubuntu 3 times in one month :
    * The first time (duh)
    * Then, it froze during the update from 9.4 to 9.10, ruinning the installation, so I installed the 9.10 directly
    * Then, it worked two week and was ruinned once again. Since I was playing with a lot of packages I thought it was my fault
    * Now it's ruinned again because of an official update.

Seriously ? I really enjoy Ubuntu, but this Wubi stuff shouldn't exist if it brings so much trouble.

Beans

It seems that this is a tricky error 'cause the bug has been submitted to launchpad almost two weeks ago and they have'nt even decided the importance of the bug yet...

Bah.. irritating!

Beans

Tell me: who is able to assign the importance level of a bug at Launchpad? Maybe if we harrass him/her we could have some attention...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast