Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 to work on Karmic 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Getting ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 to work on Karmic 9.10

Hello, I just installed Karmic on an old Thinkpad R40 laptop, and it's giving me nothing but trouble.

I have never had to deal with an ATI card before, but this one freezes the system a few seconds after I log into the system, usually when I do something that involves graphics work.

I've tried pretty much everything I can find, but nothing seems to make the thing work. Either the login screen doesn't come up at all, or shortly after I log in, it freezes.

I've noticed that the computer doesn't have an xorg.conf file, but I've tried putting some values in there. I've tried a PPA that was recommended somewhere, and I've tried a few other things.

I'm really not sure how to proceed to get this thing to work. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to get this computer functioning. It's really driving me crazy.

Re: Getting ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 to work on Karmic 9.10

I'm having the same problem with my t30. It has the radeon 7500 as well. So far I've been able to disable visual effects and get decent results. I also created an xorg.conf file like the following:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"
    EndSection

This config file at least reduced a lot of the residual bugs that seemed to be floating around. But still no luck with compiz / visual effects.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!

The t30's video unit has only 16mb of ram. Switch to a color depth of 16 instead of 24. It should work after that. Also check this thread for some hints. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-32015.html

Hope that helps
    #!/me/JaY

Beans

If I switch to a color depth of 16 instead of 24, all the videos become unwatchable slow and glxgears output is totally broken. When I tell mplayer to use another output driver, it works, but I can't tell firefox that for playing youtube, etc...

This used to be my solution in earlier versions of ubuntu. But I was definitely using a color depth of 24 with the last two. So I don't think this is the problem.

Okay, this has worked for me: Downgrade to the old jaunty mesa and glx drivers. Then tweak your xorg.conf with what I suggested above. This first link is the discussion: http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-x.../msg32591.html
    And this second link has a very easy to follow "how to":
    http://www.ode2.com/?p=44

Good luck! Report back any problems so we can keep people informed. If you get things working, also let us know at ThinkWiki.
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Talk:A...ty_Radeon_7500

Beans

If you don't need 3D, go to the open-source drivers, as they are vastly superior to the Catalyst drivers in 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have alot of problems with ATI radeon mobility 7000 on my panasonic Cf73.
    I added xorg edgers repository and now i can use compiz, and i have accelerated video, but the sistem freezes randomly...
    I really hope this will be fixed soon, i really like AWN and i wont like to switch back to normal gnome menues....

I'm not really sure about the 7000. I believe it is like the 7500, but with less power. I don't find that AWN plays well with my 7500. I usually even keep compiz down to the minimal desktop effects that are both useful and pretty. (Use the compiz settings manager to better tune your compiz effects. I always found wobbly windows annoying anyways.) But AWN on top of that always seemed slow, so I never used it.

So the question is: Were you successfully using AWN before? And, all things being equal, is it less effective with karmic? If that's the case, have you tried the suggestion above about downgrading your mesa and glx drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    If you don't need 3D, go to the open-source drivers, as they are vastly superior to the Catalyst drivers in 2D.
    Given that the advice at the link below advocates using Xorg.conf, is this the correct way to go for Karmic, which is supposed to make this file obsolete?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast