Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal instant messenger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Ideal instant messenger

My roommate and I are both computer science majors, and we were talking, the other day, about instant messaging clients. I use Gaim, and at the moment, he's using Kopete, and we were talking about what we liked and disliked about each. Both have good things, but neither is perfect, and we got to talking about what our ideal IM client would look like. I don't think either of us have the time, or, for that matter, the technical ability, at this point, to be able to implement this hypothetical client, but I figured I'd ask the community at large for their opinions on the subject. So, a few questions:
    • What IM client do you use? Why? What features does it have that encourage you to choose it over the alternatives?
    • What are its problems?
    • While the idea of skinnable apps (Winamp, etc.) seems to be mostly dead, the idea is still alive and kicking in Windows IM clients (Trillian, MSN, etc.). How important is visual appearance, both in terms of skins and eye candy, in general, in an IM program?
    • Are there any features that you think IM clients ought to have that are currently not available in Linux clients? What features would your ideal client have?
    Again, this is mainly to satisfy my own curiosity, but if anyone has ideas to contribute, I'm very much interested.

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Ideal instant messenger

I use Gaim since it's the best thing on Linux.
    I'd want a pretty basic client all I want it to be is lightweight, have tabs, support HTML (esp in profiles since Trillian still don't do that) and send recieve files. It doesn't have to have much eye candy at all.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I use GAIM. It's a very transparant program with a simple interface. I'm all about minimalistic.
    For me the biggest problems are actually that it doesn't has one window. It uses two to three windows for different things. Quite irritating.

What concerns skins and extra features I'm not getting hot by it. Like I said, an IM should be good in IM'ing and be minimalistic (looking).
    Linux Is Not Windows | www.derekdjons.nl | The 'XT' under the Rebels.
    Registered Linux User #406653 | Translator @ Launchpad

Beans
    Hidden!

I use GAIM in Linux. Yahoo Messenger in Windows. But I used to chat in Windows because of the Webcam support. I can't make it work in Linux. GAIM wiht Webcam support is not yet released. I'm waiting for it. If it comes out, then my Windows will be useless.

I don't care about the skins. Whats important is its easy to use. And that it works.
    KenWeiLL.com - My Personal Coupon Website

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use aMSN cuz of the webcam support so far it seem that it is the only OPenSource IM that supports Webcam.
    On a negative note, aMSN can only be used with Hotmail or MSN account

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

well, i've never gotten Kopete to work. on FC2 or Suse it just wouldn't connect, and on (K)Ubuntu it crashes on me.

i like gaim just fine

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Kopete and Gyach Enhanced (Yahoo chat client), both support webcam in Linux and have all the features I need in an IM client.

Beans
    Hidden!

gaim is just fine. does what i want it to.

if i was to ask for anything, it would be that trillian pro runs natively in linux. i refuse to use wine/cedega/etc., please do not recommend i try anything like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In Linux:
    Gaim is what I use, looking forward to having webcam support though.

Also use skype for VOIP and instant messaging. Again looking forward to getting webcam support in skype as well.

In Windoze (rarely now):
    MSN Instant Messenger
    Yahoo
    and Skype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use gaim.

I like how organized and simple it is.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast