Thread: Problems with K3b and Brasero after upgrading to Karmic 9.10

Beans

Problems with K3b and Brasero after upgrading to Karmic 9.10

Hello. I've been usuing Ubuntu for about three or so months now. I started running Jaunty Jackalope 9.04. I haven't had any major problems until now.

That being said, I just put on the new distribution, Karmic Koala 9.10. I did a fresh install, not an upgrade. So far I like to new distribution except I have one problem. I re-installed all my apps and have had no problems except with burning software. k3b is the best burning software I've found so far for Ubuntu.

In k3b, whenever I try to add a .MP3 file, I get an error message (whether I drag drop the file in, use the programs internal browser, or use the "Add Files" option from the "Project Menu"). The error detail reads as:

Unable to handle the following files due to an unsupported format:
    You may manually convert these audio files to wave using another application supporting the audio format and then add the wave files to the K3b project.

What I gather from this is that k3b will no longer convert the .MP3 files to .WAV before burning??? Or is this some bug in the program, or the new distribution.??? However I have no problem adding an .OGG file. Is this some type of legal issue???

Since k3b wouldn't work, I figured I'd give the native burning software a shot (hoping I could at least
    use that until the issue is resolved). Much to my disappointment, I received the same/similar error in Brasero. The error detail reads as:

"01-mos_def-excellence-mob.mp3" could not be opened.
    "01-mos_def-excellence-mob.mp3" is not suitable for audio or video media.

At first I thought Brasero was insulting my taste in music by calling it "not suitable". [Pause for Snare-Snare-Highhat]. I even re-formatted and re-installed again, thinking I had a faulty installtion. Same problems. I know this thread is getting long, but there's one more thing I'd like to add. I got my grandfather to switch to Ubuntu just about a week ago. He got the exact same error with K3b, however was able to burn with Brasero. So I know atleast one other person has the same problem.

Please help. I don't know whats going on here. Is it a bug in the distro? A bug in the new versions of Brasero and/or k3b? A legal issue about converting .MP3 files? I'm stumped.

- SlimBiggins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Problems with K3b and Brasero after upgrading to Karmic 9.10

Are you able to play the mp3s?

You might just want to try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    just in case.

I'm having the opposite effect with burning in 9.10. Brasero has been running the best I have ever had it running. I have previously had massive amounts of problems with Brasero but for me it is now running perfectly.
    The new interface is fantastic.

Beans

madverb: You hit the nail right on the head. Thanks so much.

I can add .mp3 format, in both k3b and brasero, and convert/burn them with no problems whatsoever. Seems like a legal issue with the software/distribution.

And I must also agree that Brasero's new GUI is a HUGE improvement. Check out k3b. Its a KDE burning app, but runs just fine in GNOME. Infact I prefer k3b over Brasero.

As far as playback, are you getting an error? or just no sound? and are you getting system sounds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have the same problem that SlimBiggins..
    uhmmm I already had the restricted extras..
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    [sudo] password for murphy:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    ubuntu-restricted-extras is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <

If I try...
    new project->audio cd...
    ->
    I get...
    "Unable to handle the following files due to an unsupported format:
    You may manually convert these audio files to wave using another application supporting the audio format and then add the wave files to the K3b project."

But If I do...
    new project->data cd
    Then I can burn *.mp3 to a dvd.
    I just burn it...and my dvd player can read it...so I am happy with that.

I think that w

thanks!

Beans

I've had the same problem with Morpholinux, but a little searching revealed the solution:

[CODE]$ sudo apt-get install libk3b6-extracodecs [CODE]

Please tell if that worked out after all.
    Also, I would like to know what's going on with the codecs and the restricted formats, so someone posting a brief explanation would be nice.

Beans

I just got tired of fooling with Brasero since 8.04 and installed Gnome Baker.

It has never failed on any of 6 machines I have.