Thread: Karmic Hates My U727

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Karmic Hates My U727

So I'm trying to get this Novatel U727 working with my assorted Ubuntu systems. They all detect it as a CD-ROM at first, and once I eject that they all seem to notice what it actually is. But...

My laptop, running AMD64 jaunty, connects instantly after ejecting the CD-ROM, and seems to run flawlessly.

My netbook, running i386 hardy, tries to connect but instantly says "disconnected" This keeps happening no matter how many times I try.

My desktop, running AMD64 karmic, hates it with a passion. It never connects, and will only sometimes even try. Moreover it has a nasty tendency for weird errors to crop up afterwards, like making lsusb sometimes, but not always, eat up 400% CPU and be uninterruptible, or freezing the USB keyboard until reboot.

Am I just having a weird case of bad luck, or is this a known issue other people are having?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Karmic Hates My U727

So I've been fiddling with this for awhile and I think I'm close...

Here's what I did:

sudo eject /dev/sr1

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x4100

sudo modprobe option

----

After that the Network Manager actually sees the thing, and will even connect, long enough that I was able to log in to AIM through pidgin. Though I never got a "disconnected" message or anything the connection seemed to stop responding after a few minutes. I don't think it's a signal issue because the Jaunty laptop still works fine.

The same procedure (with /dev/sr0) seems to get my hardy Netbook to see it too, but Network Manager instantly reports "disconnected" when I try to use it.

Beans

Cool Re: Karmic Hates My U727

Hi guys,

I am having trouble with this same exact issue. Search return this being a problem for many and that a bug has been filed. Has anyone had any luck in getting U727 to work in Karmic?