Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    151

    Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    How do you edit the timeout value in Grub? I've found howtos that describe editing /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst, but neither of these files exist in Ubuntu 9.10. I've tried creating them, with the value "timeout=3", but Grub still uses a different timeout.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Romania
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    Try startupmanager: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StartUpManager

    Click here to install it.
    To open it go to: System > Administration > StartUp-Manager.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerin View Post
    How do you edit the timeout value in Grub? I've found howtos that describe editing /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst, but neither of these files exist in Ubuntu 9.10.
    i just changed it, the file appears to be:
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    in my karmic installation. hope this helps.
    Lo runs Kubuntu 9.10-amd64 on a MacBookPro 5.1, and feels Karmic :~)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Romania
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    Quote Originally Posted by buntuLo View Post
    i just changed it, the file appears to be:
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    in my karmic installation. hope this helps.
    The grub.cfg file is not meant to be edited.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2


    Grub 2 - 5 Common Tasks

    The Grub 2 Guide

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    151

    Re: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Try startupmanager: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StartUpManager

    Click here to install it.
    To open it go to: System > Administration > StartUp-Manager.
    Thanks! That works perfectly!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    thanks for pointing this out to me. i just changed it there and it worked, but i see the point of having custom configurations saved on a different file, nto changed in case of updates.
    Lo runs Kubuntu 9.10-amd64 on a MacBookPro 5.1, and feels Karmic :~)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    9

    Re: Editing Grub Boot Timeout

    The file at /boot/grub/grub.cfg says that it's automatically generated using settings from /etc/default/grub. The "correct" way to change the timeout would probably be to edit this second file, then run 'sudo update grub'. That's what I did, and it works for me.

    See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...ing%20GRUB%202 for details on the config options.
    Last edited by aeosynth; November 14th, 2009 at 05:30 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •