Thread: What do you think of the Litl?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What do you think of the Litl?

I hear the OS they're using is a remix of Ubuntu Netboook:

http://litl.com/

They don't mention the name Linux because they think it's not a good selling point.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What do you think of the Litl?

I know it's in poor taste to bump my own thread but I thought it was interesting what they've done with the interface. There's a video on Youtube as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3eVvy9moE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Just had a look at the webbook. Looks good. Shame they don't mention Linux, but I suspect you are right. It could put normal mortals off
    I think it was worth the bump.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

It is interesting...could do with a touchscreen and being cheaper - but an interesting little thing no doubt...

Beans

Not bad. It needs to be a hundred bucks cheaper, and with good advertising, they could sell a bundle of 'em. I myself would have to get my hands on one before making a final judgement, but it makes a good first impression.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's expensive but I am fascinated by the decision to do an entirely customized computing experience for the intended use case.. it puts the window to the web more like a phone than a computer which is definitely a direction that is worthwhile exploring for a number of use cases.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    It is interesting...could do with a touchscreen and being cheaper - but an interesting little thing no doubt...
    A touch screen would be nice, but what do you want for your money
    I want to know if it will be available in the UK. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to try out.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    A touch screen would be nice, but what do you want for your money
    I want to know if it will be available in the UK. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to try out.
    For the price they want I'd expect a touch screen. If it was about £250-300 instead of £420 the current hardware setup would be fine

As it stands it is a netbook with a custom OS, a floppy hinge and a few extra switches - and £420 is too much (although not as laughable a price as the sony X series admittedly)

Its a shame, because at a lower price point I think it might do quite well, the OS concept itself is really quite good.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If anything they have a very well done website and their redux looks pretty good. If I hear good news about I may try one.
    Happy geeks are effective geeks!
    AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0ghz), Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, 3GB Crucial DDR3-1066Mhz RAM, XFX ATI RadeonHD 5750 1GB GDDR5

Beans

For those not in the know: litl (the company) was founded by Havoc Pennington, of GNOME and freedesktop.org fame. The OS is based on Ubuntu MID Edition, and various pieces of GNOME tech such as GObject, gjs, GStreamer, Evince, etc.

Here are two blog posts with some technical information: