Thread: Atom Z520 + Ubuntu?

Beans

Atom Z520 + Ubuntu?

Hey folks,

Wow feels lke years since I've been on here. Anyway, what are the chances of running Ubuntu on an Acer Aspire A0751h with the aforementioned processor?

Cheers,
    Helios
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Atom Z520 + Ubuntu?

It would be an acceptable configuration I suppose. Most netbooks, even though some have XP, there are the same models that have Linux preinstalled with no hardware change (same wireless, same whatever...) Keep in mind, though, that OEMs may have to write their own drivers for some things to work (wireless is a big one), and the drivers may not be available. However, my suggestion is to see what kind of wireless chipset is in your particular model, and research its usability. As far as the Atom working well with Ubuntu--I have never used an Atom machine, but there are TONS of people who claim to do extreme tasks such as gaming, graphics and I've heard even video editing--however, even though an Atom is a cross between the Pentium 4 (hyperthreading) and Pentium III (speed, design), it will be sufficient for basic/intermediate tasks. Note that netbooks are not for power-users who have 15 windows open at once, even if you upgrade RAM. And even if it performs well, what about screen size?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

9.04 works on mine but I think the wireless quit working after two weeks. Trying to find out via this forum if it might be software or if the card is bad. Download the remix version for a netbook.

dlw

Beans

I had not even started research on the wireless at this point. My main concern was the newer and weaker Atom Z520(1.33ghz) processor and how well it might play with different distros, in particular Ubuntu.
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)