Thread: Pen Drives not detecting.Please help immediately...........

Beans

Pen Drives not detecting.Please help immediately...........

Please donot ignore this post
    Pen drives are not detecting by Ubuntu 8
    I am going to be a new user of ubuntu.I have no experience in linux or any Os except Windows Xp.I am using Windows Xp for some 6 long years.Its really user friendly but virus attacks can happen any time.May be i have formatted and restalled Xp for 100000 times.My PC is Compaq presario bought in 2001, August.Intel Pentiun 3, 256 ram. I want to change Xp and install Ubuntu.As a trial I installed ubuntu 8.5 32bit in My friend's System along with Windows Xp and it worked well and I lliked it a lot.But one problem.Ubuntu is not detecting any pen drive.I have a 2GB transcend pen drive, 1 GB Moserbear pen drive and 1 MB creative mp3 player.When I connected this pen drive in various USB port it show no message or any sign not even in the task bar any thing.I thought the USB port is not working properly.Its not detecting any pen drive at all.But in Windows Xp all USB ports and Pen drives are working properly.I need someone to solve this problem immediately.After that only I could install Ubuntu in my PC.Please also give the link to some websites where I can find various software that could be used with Ubuntu.Please help me urgently...............

Beans

Re: Pen Drives not detecting.Please help immediately...........

Quote Originally Posted by terminator2 View Post
    Please donot ignore this post
    Pen drives are not detecting by Ubuntu 8
    I am going to be a new user of ubuntu.I have no experience in linux or any Os except Windows Xp.I am using Windows Xp for some 6 long years.Its really user friendly but virus attacks can happen any time.May be i have formatted and restalled Xp for 100000 times.My PC is Compaq presario bought in 2001, August.Intel Pentiun 3, 256 ram. I want to change Xp and install Ubuntu.As a trial I installed ubuntu 8.5 32bit in My friend's System along with Windows Xp and it worked well and I lliked it a lot.But one problem.Ubuntu is not detecting any pen drive.I have a 2GB transcend pen drive, 1 GB Moserbear pen drive and 1 MB creative mp3 player.When I connected this pen drive in various USB port it show no message or any sign not even in the task bar any thing.I thought the USB port is not working properly.Its not detecting any pen drive at all.But in Windows Xp all USB ports and Pen drives are working properly.I need someone to solve this problem immediately.After that only I could install Ubuntu in my PC.Please also give the link to some websites where I can find various software that could be used with Ubuntu.Please help me urgently...............
    got to synaptics and install mount programmes you specifically need like say usbmount automount pmount ntfs-3g ect reboot and good to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Pen Drives not detecting.Please help immediately...........

Ubuntu has a lot of online help documentation outside of this forum. Try this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB. These are instructions on things you can try, although you shouldn't need to do all this every time you use a pen drive .

I'll tell you now that it is VERY important that you eject the drive before unplugging it (click the eject icon in Nautilus). If you don't, you'll just keep running into more problems.