Thread: Koala - revert login screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Koala - revert login screen

I just upgraded to Koala and am very unhappy about the new login screen situation. I have googled around a bit but have been unable to find the information I require. I fail to see how saving a few seconds on boot time is worth removing features that I would consider essential. Am I the only one? Ubuntu seems to be more concerned with its e-peen status boot time then it is concerned about its users ability to customize their own systems. This is the behavior or mindset typically displayed by M$ and from where I'm sitting completely contradicts the whole ethos behind Ubuntu. Seriously WTF moment of the month?! /rant

I do not want my usernames displayed full stop!
    Is there any way at all to set the login screen to a prompt so both username and password have to be entered?
    (edit via gconf-editor through /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true does not work.)

If this is not possible is there anyway to remove the new login screen and revert or reinstall the previous login setup with all the customization settings restored?
    The worlds misfortunes can be explained, quite simply, by acknowledging that the vast majority of its peoples suffer the debilitating effects of having Faecal Encephalopathy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Koala - revert login screen

This command in terminal will fix it
    Code:
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true
    edit: well... it fixed it for me
    Last edited by pastalavista; November 6th, 2009 at 06:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Koala - revert login screen

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    This command in terminal will fix it
    Code:
    sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true
    edit: well... it fixed it for me
    Thankyou, that worked for me. If anyone knows a way to revert to the old configuration options I'd still like to know.

Why couldn't there be a simple tick box in the login screen gui? User friendly?..
    The worlds misfortunes can be explained, quite simply, by acknowledging that the vast majority of its peoples suffer the debilitating effects of having Faecal Encephalopathy.