Thread: [Karmic] Installing KDE on-top-of Gnome

Beans

[Karmic] Installing KDE on-top-of Gnome

I tried to install KDE on top of my Ubuntu Gnome installation in the past, and it appeared to make an unstable system and screw up stuff. Is that still the case with karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [Karmic] Installing KDE on-top-of Gnome

I have done it on two systems with Karmic and managed to get everything stable. I would recommend a fresh install of Kubuntu however if you primarily want to use KDE.

Beans

That's just it. I'd like to have both installed, and decide on one or the other at login time. Just wondering if people have been doing this with zero problems? I have compiz enabled in Gnome.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You could always dual boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a habit of doing exactly what you are talking about--installing ubuntu with gnome first then installing kubuntu-desktop. Every time I have worked up a stable desktop. Too many good things come from having both to totally eliminate the other.

I would not worry. As I said I do this all the time. I rarely use gnome but sometimes I need it. It being there has helped as KDE still has some extremely rough edges.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. (Install Gnome first, then KDE 4). A few times now, the KDE desktop (not the panels, just the desktop consisting of the wallpaper and widgets I added) 'crashes', and I'm left looking at my gnome wallpaper instead. Right-clicking on the desktop reveals a typical gnome-type menu. (e.g. last option is 'Change Desktop Background')

I find this a little odd - is gnome somehow running at the same time? How does this happen? How do you restart the KDE desktop (plasma-desktop is already running)

I feel there is some setting somewhere that I need to change so that

Other info:
    in process table: gdm is not running. kdm is.
    plasma-desktop is running

Cannot find anything in various logs.