Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Re: Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by green.jon View Post
    And it seems that WicD is being fussy and I'm without wifi in UNR again. I'm glad I dual boot on this netbook. I'm all out of ideas guys. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a feeling it's because of the router, but don't have the money to get another anytime soon and no others to test it with at the moment...
    Test it somewhere where you have free hotspots.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

hi again everyone. The recent backport update hasn't changed anything: My connection is dropping out pretty frequently.

However I've seen that there are plenty of issues using this chipset with an N speed router. I've since set the router to G speed but to no effect (other than slowing down my main computer running windows 7 and an N speed dongle with no problems).

What's the best way to gather info about these problems? I've been trying to find useful info in the system logs, but it appear there are plenty of other bugs spamming my logs (battery report issues, samba still report issues after dismounting, wpa supplicant scan events).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andlinux View Post
    Test it somewhere where you have free hotspots.
    Sorry I've been MIA for awhile. Just finished finals and I did surprisingly good! Back to the matter at hand...

I was able to connect to my school's wifi so the only problem I can really think of (without looking in logs because I don't know WHERE to look) is the router. I still haven't been able to find a way to change it from N mode to G mode. This problem was quite a thrill killer in getting back into Ubuntu, but I won't let it stop me. Do you guys think it IS the router? I'll be moving in about 2 to 3 weeks so I'll be dealing with a different router (another story altogether) luckily, but I'd really like to know the cause of this problem.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just another quick update. Seems I can connect to the router again as I'm using it right now on my netbook to post this. This is getting really confusing. Anyone else care to post some updates please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by warden976 View Post
    5 hours uptime now - this is much better.

i ran sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic followed by sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic (thanks coffeecat) and rebooted.

Another noticeable difference is the signal is now seeming to flux between 70% and 90% rather than 10% to 30%.
    THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH, ITS PERFECT!!!!

I posted 2 threads about to no avail..... but stupid me didn't search, but now that i found this i am eternally grateful!!!

thanks! to everyone!

Beans

I have an Asus G72X laptop that has an AR928X Wireless Network Adapter. Sadly, installing both backport packages (linux-backports-modules-karmic and linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic) did not work for me.

any pointers? :-/

EDIT: I should probably add that the wireless adapter is working better though. Now I can always hit disconnect and then reconnect which solves the connection problem 99% of the time. However, a few minutes later, my connection seems dead - although the icon still shows connected.
    Last edited by rburhum; April 5th, 2010 at 06:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

sony vaio here, was having poor wireless performance, thought it might be my wireless access point (its a piece of crap), but installed the wireless backport modules and wifi running much better =).
    MICROSOFT FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Same problem here with Nokia N3G booklet and ATH9K, karmic worked great with the backport-wireless and I also thought that I had fixed the problem in Lucid with the same fix, worked fine for a day but somehow it seems the problem got worse over period of 12 hours.
    Yesterday I could surf the net for couple of hours without disconnecting and the period seemed to get shorter and shorter by evening I had to disconnect every couple of minutes and this morning it was just a big mess, so I switched my ATT sim card from my phone to my netbook and atleast I have internet again. hopefully somebody finds a fix to this problem soon.

To top it all I have GMA500 graphics card, pretty much SOL with linux right now.....

After searching for awhile I came upon this page and it seemed to work atleast for now

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Atheros/AR9285
    Last edited by ollifl; May 12th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

I've tried lots of versions of the compat-wireless, but no long-term success.

Info:
    Sony VAIO CW
    ath9k
    Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    ath9k

I've tried the backports from the karmic repos, compat-wireless from the releases, and compat-wireless from the bleeding edge builds.

They are all the same --
    Low, and fluctuating signal even though I am in the same room as the router
    Max of a few dozen MB/s
    Seems to slow after a pretty good first burst
    On occasion, i.e. for an evening or until I suspend or reboot, it works fine, but it does not last.
    Tried on several different networks: Home (wep), Local sandwich shop (open), and work (wep). All are the same.

Other posts report that the same drivers work OK on other distros, so I think it is a kernel thing, or how the regdb talks to the driver/kernel in Ubuntu.

I, too hope this is fixed, I can't even show off my machine (Ubuntu is the only OS on the machine), because it keeps disconnecting.

Beans

Smile Re: Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by netrati View Post
    Hey I was having the exact same problem that you guys are describing. My fix was to download the latest compat-wireless drivers...

http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...ss-2.6.tar.bz2

After you extract the tarball, run ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    Then run make and sudo make install

Problem fixed!

Consider your little japanese socks blessed netrati!

Worked a treat. I'm running 9.10 64bit on an ACER Aspire 5732z, fitted with a AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (or so I think.. I ran lshw and I think that's the appropriate hardware). Similar problem to everyone else; it would be fine for 20 mins or so, then cut out and ask for authorisation. After a reboot it would be ok for a while then cut out again. After extracting and installing compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2, the signal boosted to 75% or so and has been running without a problem for about 6 hours. I can also change between routers and it works first time.

Thanks again netrati

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456