Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 - Wifi - RTL8187SE - Causing Kernel Panic

Beans

Re: 9.10 - Wifi - RTL8187SE - Causing Kernel Panic

Ok, this makes no sense to me, but I can get the default rtl818se driver to load only AFTER ndiswrapper has loaded.

So essentially:

1) Have ndiswrapper load up the windows driver.
    2) sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    3) sudo modprobe rtl8187se

This will allow loading of the rtl8187se driver without causing a kernel panic. Don't ask me why this works, it just does.

Beans

i'm using the stock driver that comes with the kernel, works on the live cd too.

i dont understand why your having so much trouble with this :hmmm:

long shot but have you tried to copy the kernel module from the cd and just modprobe -i it?

if that does not work then i would start looking further afield, something else if interfering...

edit: also, having ndsiwrapper + windows driver and the native driver loaded at the same time is just going to cause confusion, disable ndiswrapper while your working with the native driver.
    Last edited by confused_user; November 11th, 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Beans

Live CD kernel module kernel panic's too.

What I've done is tried loading the default rtl8187se kernel module on its own (no ndiswrapper installed). That causes a system freeze.

Letting Ubuntu load it on its own = Kernel Panic

The only way I can get the default rtl8187se kernel module to load at all is to first load ndiswrapper (with driver).

Then, completely disabling all instances of ndiswrapper (that is to say rmmmod it). This of course kills my wireless.

Then, modprobing the default driver (stock rtl8187se). By doing this, it'll load the module without causing a system panic.

Beans

How do you go about recompiling the original driver that ships with ubuntu? I would also like to give this a try.

Beans

ok so what is ndiswrapper loading? the windows driver?

since the stock driver works for me i'm thinking that it's a combination of that driver with something else in your kernel that might be causing this. also, i have found that different wireless encryption standards can upset my driver, wep for example crashes my entire system - the whole thing locks up and i have to take my battery out. wpa2 on the other hand work fine but times out a bit.

so if you unload the kernel module - sudo modprobe -r rtl8187se.ko and then start up ndiswrapper (with the windows driver?),p what happens?

it sounds like it will work

Beans

I tried the fix Anchor posted above worked like a charm. thanks big help

Beans

Glad it worked for you phillpot. It's a very bad fix, but at least you can use WPA.

ok so what is ndiswrapper loading? the windows driver?
    Yep, I have ndiswrapper load up the Windows driver, then I disable ndiswrapper entirely (disabling the windows driver along with it). Doing this allows me to just load the rtl8187se.ko module without a problem.

If I don't first have ndiswrapper load up the Windows driver, loading the rtl8187se.ko will almost certainly crash the system.

since the stock driver works for me i'm thinking that it's a combination of that driver with something else in your kernel that might be causing this.
    I'm thinking the same thing. I have no idea how to even try to troubleshoot that though. I have noticed that my laptop speakers cannot be disabled. That is to say, when I plug in my headphones the laptop speakers continue outputting sound.

From my preliminary readings, it seems to be problem associated with Intel chipsets.

also, i have found that different wireless encryption standards can upset my driver, wep for example crashes my entire system - the whole thing locks up and i have to take my battery out. wpa2 on the other hand work fine but times out a bit.
    That's odd. Once I perform that kludgy fix, the wireless card can pretty much hop back and forth between WEP and WPA without a problem.

so if you unload the kernel module - sudo modprobe -r rtl8187se.ko and then start up ndiswrapper (with the windows driver?),p what happens?
    Haven't tried that, but wouldn't that just load ndiswrapper?

rtl8187se is already blacklisted so it wont load the module to begin with. Thus there's nothing to unload.

"modprobe -r" would unload rtl8187se, but the problem is that it's already been prevented from loading.

Starting ndiswrapper should load the windows driver, but it can only connect to WEP encrypted wireless signals.

It's a problem that seems to persist across distros seeing as Linux Mint suffers from the same issue.

Beans

ok i think i'm with you now.

with ndiswrapper it all works lovely except for WPA so might as well not work at all

to be able to boot into a working system you have to load the native driver (because that crashes your system [btw kernel panic is not really an issue, it just means it's 3rd party or something, a kernel panic should not in my experience cause a system to crash like this - correct me if i'm wrong though]) so you start up ndiswrapper, once that works you can then load the native driver which without a system crash.

then you stop ndiswrapper and it's all good until you restart?

for trouble shooting the kernel have you tried tailing /var/log/kern.log while all this is going on?

another option is to build your own kernel from scratch - which is not as bad as it sounds but will take a bit of time.

my favorite option would be to work out how much your free time is worth to you, compare that to how much time your spending on this and think about buying better wifi card

sorry i know it's a cop out but **** it, lifes too short.

On the bugtrack thread people say they just bought this one for £10 off ebay Intel 4965AGN it supports 802.11N as well.

Sorry i cant really help you man, i feel your pain but i'd need to sit in front of your laptop for a while to make any progress i think.

Beans

to be able to boot into a working system you have to load the native driver (because that crashes your system [btw kernel panic is not really an issue, it just means it's 3rd party or something, a kernel panic should not in my experience cause a system to crash like this - correct me if i'm wrong though]) so you start up ndiswrapper, once that works you can then load the native driver which without a system crash.

then you stop ndiswrapper and it's all good until you restart?
    Pretty much, except i stop ndiswrapper before i load the native driver. Everything is else is right.

Also, I think I remember reading that certain kernel panics can hard lock the system. The "aiee" ones if i'm not mistaken.

my favorite option would be to work out how much your free time is worth to you, compare that to how much time your spending on this and think about buying better wifi card

sorry i know it's a cop out but **** it, lifes too short.

On the bugtrack thread people say they just bought this one for £10 off ebay Intel 4965AGN it supports 802.11N as well.
    Haha, I know. My free time is pretty precious to me as I'm still in college. School really just eats up most of my time.

I have a couple of wirless cards laying around that I could try, but I was more interested in trying to find a solution to the problem.

That, plus I lack the required tools to get access to the laptops chasis.

Beans

'lo all, i'm using karmic and i must say i don't understand half of what's being debated here, but with ndiswrapper i managed to put it working correctly (better than in windows). Even in WPA is working just fine. My pc originally shiped out with linux so the company shipping it made some drivers available, i used those and it worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast