Thread: 9.10 - Wifi - RTL8187SE - Causing Kernel Panic

Hybrid View

Beans

9.10 - Wifi - RTL8187SE - Causing Kernel Panic

I'm currently trying to install 9.10 on my Toshiba Satellite T115-S110. Specs are as follows:

Code:
    Video: Intel GMA 4500M

Wireless: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8187SE Wireless Lan Controller (rev 22)

Ethernet: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)

PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)

ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M-E LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    Originally I was having trouble just running the Live Cd as it would always Kernel Panic before ever getting to the Desktop environment.

I discovered that by disabling the wireless card in the BIOS the Live CD works just fine. It has no trouble proceeding with the installation in this state as well.

However, as soon as I re-enable the wireless card, it just Kernel Panic's on me again.

My best guess is that there's some kind of conflict with the wireless driver and some other unknown process.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Or better yet, something that might fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: Here's what the Kernel Panic says -
    Code:
    [17.529523] Kernel panic - not syncing: HwThreeWire(): CmdReg: 0XFF RE|WE bits are not clear!!
    [17.529525]
    [17.544365][drm:intelfb_panic] *ERROR* panic occurred, switching back to text console
    Last edited by anchor; November 5th, 2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans

Re: 9.10 - Wifi - RTL8187SE - Causing Kernel Panic

Ok making some progress:

Blacklisting rtl8187se enables Ubuntu to boot without a problem.

I'm convinced it's a problem with the driver. Gonna try ndiswrapper and see if it still freaks out.

Beans

Ok, seems using ndiswrapper and the MSI version of the Windows Driver for the rtl8187se gets it working perfectly.

I'm still pretty curious as to why the native Linux version performs so poorly?

Anyway, this should help anyone else who picks up the Toshiba Satellite T115-S1100 and wants to run Linux.

Beans

I have a t115 as well and am trying to get the wireless going. Which driver did you use in the msi driver zip? the one for xp? I have tried all of the drivers - my wireless is on but only sees but does not connect to my home wireless network. At least windows 7 garbage is off and ubuntu no longer kernel panics.

Beans

I should have been more clear, sorry about that.

Yeah, I used ndisgtk (in the repos) to install the .inf in the "WINXP2K" folder.

It should bear reminding that once you blacklist rtl8187se, you should re-enable the Wireless card in the BIOS.

I made that mistake when I was first figuring it out.

Also, I haven't tried it with a WPA connection, but WEP works just fine.

Beans

Also, I'm pretty sure we have the same model, but the wireless card in this particular unit has the following device id:

output from "lspci -n":

08:00.0 0280: 10ec:8199 (rev 22)