Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have any of you pros completely dumped Win OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Have any of you pros completely dumped Win OS?

I was curious as to wether or not any of you pros have dumped Windows and only live in Linux land? I could seriously do with out Windows OS from the way I see how ubuntu has been. I mean sure I love all the nice progs like PaintShop Pro and PhotoShop and all the other millions of Windows Programs I have but honestly I could do with out and it would simplfy my life. What do the experts think and feel about this?
    ubuntu rocks!

Beans

Re: Have any of you pros completely dumped Win OS?

Well I'm fairly new to Linux, and I've ditched Windows completly.

It's entirely up to your comfort level with the OS, will you be able to survive without Windows?

Keep in mind that those nice windows programs can run under WINE, or even better a VMware installation of WindowsXP (which is what I'm doing).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: Have any of you pros completely dumped Win OS?

I don't consider myself a pro or expert but Breezy works so well its now my main computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm just new to Ubuntu/Linux, having installed it only a couple days ago. Since then, I think I've only booted Windows once. That being said, I don't think I'll ditch it completely, but one never knows. The more I learn about Linux, the more I like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Protex Wow that is awesome and very inspirational. I am not much of a gamer any more, Just downloaded games to kill time.
    So you are saying that alot of the programs I have like PSP+ and the likes can be installed on my linux box? I have alot of programs. I mean a lot. Would there be some programs that would not work?
    Honestly the way things are going I could kill this Windows XP OS. It is so high maintainace. I know you know what I mean.

Keep talking to me. I am all ears

BTW I feel very comfortable with ubuntu even though this is my first Linux box and I have been on it for 2 days but the reasuring thing is this forum. With out this forum I would be a bit frustrated and a bit helpless, so thank you all that have helped me up until now and I will thank those in advance that will be helping me in the future
    ubuntu rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Protex
    Well I'm fairly new to Linux, and I've ditched Windows completly.

It's entirely up to your comfort level with the OS, will you be able to survive without Windows?

Keep in mind that those nice windows programs can run under WINE, or even better a VMware installation of WindowsXP (which is what I'm doing).
    Ya bro that is a good question. Can I survive with out Win OS? I think I can. I guess I should give a little more time. I guess the other final test would be how does my box handle lets movies from the internet? Does linux have a p2p system like limewire or bear share? Never used torrent.

Let me try and learn about this wine and VMware and see how I do there.

Thanks.
    ubuntu rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not a pro but yes, I have dumped windows completly. It is crap, I only like it b/c of it's interface but otherwise it's crap.

Beans

Ubuntu was my first real Linux, I had played a little with Knoppix and Mepis but nothing serious. Within a few weeks of installing Breezy I realized I was booting to it and using it primarily. A week later I had uninstalled Win XP and haven't looked back since.

There's always something to replace win apps, just takes a little work sometimes, no big deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Also no expert at all, but I only boot into Windows now and then to play games. If you're not a gamer and you feel at home here, as you say, then you shouldn't have a problem ditching Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by openmind
    There's always something to replace win apps, just takes a little work sometimes, no big deal.
    My view is that if you're dual-booting, the only good reason to uninstall Windows is to free up hard disk space. Windows isn't costing you money, and for the rare occasions when there isn't anything to replace windows applications (e.g. if you have a Sony MP3 player), it's useful to have.

Also, if you mess up your Ubuntu installation (I managed to break X11), it's nice to know you can boot to Windows and find help for your problem.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast