Thread: Can I get regular gnome on my Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can I get regular gnome on my Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

I'm interested in whatever optimizations have been done behind the scenes with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but I hate the interface. Can I install UNR and get regular gnome and the regular Ubuntu interface? I know that it might be slower, but I'm used to that, as my standard laptop isn't really all that powerful. Or would it be be better for me to just install the regular ubuntu on my system? I could probably go with Hardy instead of karmic to reduce system strain ... or whatever. Thanks!

Oh, my netbook is an Asus eee pc 1005ha-p.

Beans

Re: Can I get regular gnome on my Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

There is no reason to install Netbook if you "hate" the interface.

It uses the same kernel, drivers, etc. as "regular" Ubuntu. In my experience/opinion, Netbook Remix is slightly slower due to its buggy, "bloated" interface.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any other opinions? Just curious. I thought I heard that the UNR was optimized for atom processors, but if it's no different I can just install a regular Koala.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think you're much better off just installing the standard Ubuntu unless you specifically want the Clutter interface. Clutter actually takes more CPU to render than standard Ubuntu Gnome, and seems to eat a lot of RAM.

I installed UNR on my 17-year-old's laptop (Acer 3650, a couple of years old) and was not satisfied with the performance, so I turned off the Clutter interface and the window maximizer in admin-> preferences-> startup applications. Then I had to reconstruct the menu placement manually, et cetera. Not hard, just a bunch of irritating work.

My youngest daughter has UNR on her Aspire One (solid state, no hard drive) and she likes it.