Thread: Mozilla's Firefox 3.7 and 4.0 Linux Mockups

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mozilla's Firefox 3.7 and 4.0 Linux Mockups

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Why is it a technical impossibility?
    Okay, the window manager (which draws the window border) is a completely separate process from the client application (eg: Firefox). Some apps tell the window manager that they want to draw their own window border, but this never works out well for top-level windows because they end up horrifically inconsistent.

If they could transparently pass the unused events off to the window manager, which is possible but inexplicably unimplemented (and it's too late now to make it work easily, since client apps are greedy with events), it would make a bit more sense. However, that still leaves us with the fact that they have nothing in common with the native look. Here are the ways that bottom mockup could be achieved:

* Firefox could be hard coded to a specific style of window borders. For example, how Chromium can draw its own window borders - which is wisely not the default in Linux. Note that Chromium's close buttons, when it handles matters itself, look exactly like Windows Vista's. Also, if you have different settings for what mouse buttons do in your real window manager, Chromium ignores them and assumes that double click means Maximize.
    (This is also why Chromium's "native GTK" style looks like utter garbage. GTK themes do not handle the window border, yet it expects to get remotely useful information from the GTK theme!)

* Firefox could duplicate Metacity's theme engine. It could read Metacity's theme and then render a window border just like Metacity with some small changes. Lots of lines of code, possible breakage since Metacity themes are not built to facilitate tabs and user switchers, but maybe close to working...

* Firefox could add a few more lines of pixels so that the Metacity title bar is just a Metacity title bar, give up on the user chooser thing and arbitrarily assume that the bottom of Metacity's title bar is coloured dark brown.

(And then there are other window managers).

I think I have shot those options down sufficiently.

Now, I like dreaming. Personally, I would love to see the window manager drawing enormously wasteful borders thing die an elegant death, but this needs to happen at its source; not in a pesky client application that goes out of its way to stick out like a sore thumb.

It bothers me to see a proposed interface design that is Not Possible, because the only thing that could come of this is a realization too late in the cycle that it is not going to work followed by an ugly redesign. It will cause kludges and give us an interface that is not optimized for the situation at hand, instead smothered in the sad remnants of something unnatural.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; November 6th, 2009 at 07:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

4.0 is ugly as sin! Also, there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy way to access your bookmarks. I like to have the bookmarks toolbar for the sites that I visit the most.

Beans

I disagree. More real-estate on screen = more space to read and use the browser. Big fan of Chrome for this reason.

Are there any add-ons that can make FF3.5 more like 4.0? Chromium has too many technical issues to use in place of FF on Ubuntu so far, imo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also, How will this work on XFCE4 Window Manager in the Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 4 Mockup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Also, How will this work on XFCE4 Window Manager in the Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 4 Mockup?
    That's Mr. Picklesworth's point, it could be that whoever made the mockup is unaware of the limitations/complexity of getting it to look like that in a given window manager.

It's also why I said "I emphasize proposed mockups, because they may not ultimately look like this..."
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    I don't like the 4.0 mockup because it is a technical impossibility
    Nothing is impossible if enough people work on it.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.” – Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12