Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 - Visual effects problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 - Visual effects problem

Sorry about your pain, sounds like it was a tough one for you. Some releases are great, some aren't and it depends on the level of hardware support for your particular machine. Stick with Jaunty for a while and maybe come back to Karmic in a few months, it might just be all great then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've solved my problem. I completely reinstalled my system (it wasn't big problem, because my instalation was clear, I hadn't have installed a lot of software on it). Then I tried to install the driver again, waited some time and it got installed. Some graffic effects are clear but some of them are a bit fiftul. Thanks everybody for help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gabe17 View Post
    I've solved my problem. I completely reinstalled my system (it wasn't big problem, because my instalation was clear, I hadn't have installed a lot of software on it). Then I tried to install the driver again, waited some time and it got installed. Some graffic effects are clear but some of them are a bit fiftul. Thanks everybody for help.
    What type of graphics card do you have (do you know)? Are you saying that some effects are slow and others fast or are some slow for a second or two and then improve?

Beans

The default driver in the search for hardware drivers is one not to be played with. I have a Mac Pro with ATI Radeon 4870 HD and went to install those drivers only to have a fully destroyed system! WARNING: ALways try to find the correct video driver for your hardware, and stay far far away from the AMD/ATI driver bundled with ubuntu.

Because of it, I had to reboot and re-install as my xorg.conf and xserver were completely destroyed as well as for the fact that I couldn't even boot into console.

The link for the proper ati radeon driver 4800 series can be found here...

http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

jward3010: My graphics card is Asus Radeon HD3650. Yes, for example when I start firefox, the effect of opening window stops in the middle for a second and then continues. I will try to make a screenshot of it. But the interesting thing is that other windows are opening clearly.
    I hope my grafics card is good enough for ubuntu visual effects
    Last edited by gabe17; November 18th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The reason I say this is due to a hardware throttling system that some cards employ (nVidia's anyway - it's called PowerMizer).

When very little is going on they slow down their core speeds to save power and heat but when you start something going they take around a second to accelerate back up to full speed, during that second you'll get slow performance but up to 30 seconds after that the card will work at full speed and you should find that all other actions are quick.

Then again I don't whether this is related to AMD/ATi cards. Definitely to lots of nVidia cards and not just laptop models.

Beans

ALways try to find the correct video driver for your hardware, and stay far far away from the AMD/ATI driver bundled with ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I found a driver on the ATI/AMD site. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English
    Should uninstall the old one and install this one? Can you give me an advice how to uninstall the old? I wan't to avoid situation before a few weeks ago, when I uninstalled wrong driver packages in Synaptic and I couldn't log into the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I noticed easy enough install instructions on the same page in PDF format, just above the "Terms and Conditions" link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So I tried to uninstall the old driver as it is written in the manual (/usr/share/ati, sudo sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh), but it can't open ./fglrx-uninstall.sh. I checked whether there is this file, and it isn't. In usr/share/ati is only one folder with name "amdcccle".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast