Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Cannon Printer Driver (LBP3200)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: All Cannon Printer Driver (LBP3200)

Thanks for this fine tutorial!

If you are contemplating purchasing one of these CAPT printers, my advice is: DON'T.

CAPT (Canon Advanced Printing Technology) printers are Windows GDI printers: which means they have no rendering capability; this is all done on the host computer. Remember how terrible winmodems were, well these are winprinters - just as problematic! Further advice not to purchase these paperweights

Although Canon produces the CAPT drivers for these GDI based printers they offer no support at all. This is clearly stated in the terms stated on the download page for the CUPS CAPT drivers
    "Canon Printers", and Canon local company as selling agency of Canon Printers, do not receive any user support call and /or request or any requests for information about the Software and Related Information.
    OK now that I've got that disclaimer out of the way I can confirm, after lots of trial and error, that a LBP3100B can print under Ubuntu. If you have a 32bit system just following the Installation instructions Canon supplies should have you up and running fairly quickly.

I have managed to set-up a working shared printer (LBP3100B) on a 32bit Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop.

I didn't have any luck compiling the 64Bit drivers.

I haven't tried any of the other printers, but I expect all of the supported printers will work OK under Ubuntu. Here is the list of supported printers, from the installation documents that come with the driver download
    LBP9100Cdn
    LBP7200C series
    LBP5050 series
    LBP3010/LBP3018/LBP3050
    LBP3100/LBP3108/LBP3150
    LBP3250
    LBP3310
    LBP5100
    LBP5300
    LBP3500
    LBP3300
    LBP5000
    LBP3210
    LBP3000
    LBP2900
    LBP3200
    LBP-1120
    LBP-1210
    My questions/comments are as follows:

Step6 – Editing the start-up script for starting CAPT daemon
    I found that there are several different modified ccpd start-up scripts to be found on the net. I decided the original supplied by Canon was too confusing to follow. This is the ccpd start-up script I decided to use...
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # startup script for Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS (ccpd)
    # Modified for Debian GNU/Linux
    # Based on a compile for 64 bit instructions by rajamohan
    #   	Ubuntu Forums > The Ubuntu Forum Community > Main Support Categories > Hardware & Laptops > [SOLVED] All Cannon Printer Driver (LBP3200) 
    # http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1315665

##Use the update.rc.d runlevel defaults
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:         ccpd
    # Required-Start:   $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $network $named
    # Should-Start:     $ALL
    # Required-Stop:    $syslog $remote_fs
    # Default-Start:    2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:     0 1 6
    # Description:      Start Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS
    ### END INIT INFO

#Decided not to export path
    DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ccpd
    LOCKFILE=/var/lock/subsys/ccpd
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    NAME=ccpd
    DESC="Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS"

test -f $DAEMON || exit 0

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

ccpd_start ()
    {
        log_begin_msg "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
            start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --exec ${DAEMON}
            log_end_msg $?
    }

ccpd_stop ()
    {
            log_begin_msg "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --signal 15 --exec ${DAEMON}
            log_end_msg $?
    }

case $1 in

start)
            ccpd_start
            ;;

stop)
            ccpd_stop
            ;;

status)
                echo "$DESC: $NAME:" `pidof $NAME`
            ;;

restart)
                log_begin_msg "Restarting $DESC: $NAME"
            ccpd_stop
                sleep 2
            ccpd_start
                log_end_msg $?
            ;;

*)
                echo "Usage: ccpd {start|stop|restart|status}"
            exit 1
            ;;
    esac
    exit 0
    Step7 – Setting the printer for CUPS
    I decided not to deviate from the Canon instructions, Canon's lpadmin command worked for me, however, BEWARE of the typo in the Canon instructions! E should be -E
    Code:
    sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP3100 -m CNCUPSLBP3150CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59687 -E
    Step8 – Setting the printer for CAPT
    I found that the lpr.log & debug log make this comment....
    udev-configure-printer: Consider also queues with "/usb/lp0*" or "USBlp0" in their URIs as matching
    This is due to the auto detection of the printer mentioned in Step10 – Finalisation. Does anyone know how this can be turned off?

Re: Step9 – Automating CAPT while booting the system
    Automatic starting CAPT daemon (CCPD start-up) issues
    rajamohan: in your modified ccpd start-up script I see you have included some logging capability. Could you please advise where this logged information ends up?
    toto1234: I see you have changed the LSB init script header provided by Canon in their read-me file included with the driver download.
    # Default-Start: 3 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 2 6
    to the default and much more sensible
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
    But when I ran
    Code:
    sudo insserv ccpd
    I ended up with a page full of errors culminating in
    insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
    So I reverted to this update-rc.d command
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d ccpd start 50 2 3 4 5 . stop 80 0 1 6 .
    which is the default for the start and stop runlevels. I decided to use the same sequence as CUPS (eg: starting init sequence of 50 and a stop sequence of 80).

Sorry to labour on about automatically starting CCPD but with all the different init mechanisms I got terribly confused and sidetracked. Here is a list of the man pages that I consulted!

Code:
    init (5)       - Upstart init daemon job configuration
    upstart (7)          - Upstart process management daemon
    init (8)             - Upstart process management daemon
    initctl (8)          - init daemon control tool
    inittab (5)          - init daemon configuration
    insserv (8)          - Enable an installed system init script
    service (8)          - run a System V init script
    start (8)            - init daemon control tool
    status (8)           - init daemon control tool
    stop (8)             - init daemon control tool
    Some final comments:
    It is very confusing as there are multiple methods of setting up printers. There is the cups admin pages via http://localhost:631, the Ubuntu tool under System > Administration > Printing and then the command line tools mentioned in this tutorial as well as the various *.conf files involved.

After my initial set up I was not getting any error messages and the printer status was OK at idle, but nothing printed. Using the Cups Modify Printer web interface and Turning off "Share this Printer" allowed my first print job.

I found an occasional reboot of the computer and printer would fix the strange problems that occurred while trying to set up CUPS, CAPT, Ghostscript, SAMBA & UFW - Be warned, there are a lot of complicated bits of software involved in getting these winprint beasts working - expect a lot of this

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: All Cannon Printer Driver (LBP3200)

I haven't tried fixing it on ubuntu, but I was able to make the printer work on fedora 14.

At first I followed the instructions from the driver doc to install the driver on fedora, but it wouldn't work there either, the same as ubuntu.

Then I found a tutorial that includes one extra step - stopping Haldaemon, and this installation went ok, and I can now print on fedora 14 with LBP3250.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=256926
    It's turtles all the way down

Beans

Smile Re: All Cannon Printer Driver (LBP3200)

OK now ubuntu 11.10 is out so I thought of updating this thread for the latest version and most recent driver. This time I am going to details the installation of the driver from the existing build direct from the Canon linux driver, below are the steps

1. Download the driver from the link http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...900772408.html
    2. unzip the downloaded driver assuming you had downloaded to the default folder (Downloads)

cd Downloads
    tar xfz Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN.tar.gz
    3. This will create a folder "Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN" in the current directory. You will have four folders inside this, of which we are concerned about two folder i.e "32-bit_Driver" and "64-bit_Driver"

4. Ubuntu 11.10 have a missing package gs-esp so we need to fix that download the .deb package from the link and install it http://launchpadlibrarian.net/626416...buntu1_all.deb

sduo dpkg -i gs-esp_9.01~dfsg~svn12047-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    For 32 Bit System

5. change to folder "32-bit_Driver"

cd Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN/32-bit_Driver/Debian
    sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-common_2.30-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-capt_2.30-1_i386.deb
    For 64 Bit System

The driver file contain only contain RPM files so we need to convert it to .deb files, for this we will install a alien package which is a tool to convert RPM to DEB

sudo apt-get install alien
    Now we need to convert the rpm files (assuming we are in Downloads Folder)

cd Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN/62-bit_Driver/RPM
    sudo alien *.rpm
    5. now we have the .deb files we can install the driver

sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-common_2.30-1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cndrvcups-capt_2.30-1_amd64.deb
    Let start prepare to start configuring the printer.

6. Ubuntu 11.10 had blacklisted usblp modules (I am not sure of why this is done , document shows that CUPS uses the usb in raw mode, If anybody have any ideas can add details). so before start to configure let us configure to load the usblp module

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf
    comment the line prefixing # so that it look like #blacklist usblp, save it and exit. Restart the system so that we will have the usblp module loaded

7. Add Printer (Assuming Model LBP3200)

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP3200 -m CNCUPSLBP3200CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 -E
    you need to change the printer model and the .ppd files respectively to your printer models

8. Configure Capt Admin demon to route printing to correct usb port

sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP3200 -o /dev/usb/lp0
    9. Now configure auto start the capt daemon by udev rules by identifying the USB Vendor parameter (cannon vendor id is 0x04a9)

gksudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/85-canon-capt.rules
    Code:
    KERNEL=="lp*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", RUN+="/bin/bash /etc/init.d/ccpd start"
    KERNEL=="lp*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/bash /etc/init.d/ccpd stop"
    Add the above two lines 1st line for starting the service and the second line is to stop the service, this happens automatically when you switch on/off your printer

10. Change the start up script
    gksu gedit /etc/init.d/ccpd
    Delete all the existing content and replace it with the below code

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ccpd
    NAME=ccpd

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

ccpd_start ()
    {
            log_end_msg $?
    }

ccpd_stop ()
    {
            log_end_msg $?
    }

case $1 in

start)
            ccpd_start
            ;;

stop)
            ccpd_stop
            ;;

status)
            ;;

restart)
            ccpd_stop
                sleep 2
            ccpd_start
                log_end_msg $?
            ;;

*)
            exit 1
            ;;
    esac
    exit 0
    Ok, now we are done with the setup lets restart the system and do the finish up step

Finish-up (Power ON the printer before testing this)

1. check if the usb port are properly installed

sudo ls /dev/usb
    you should see the lp0 in the list

2. Switch on the printer and then type the command below to see the CAPT Admin daemon is running

sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd status
    The command should list some thing like this "Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS: ccpd: 1135 1131", there should be two process running (the number will differ)

3. Disabling the auto assigned printer

go to
    settings->Printer
    select the auto selected printer (in my case its LBP3200-2) and change the status to "OFF"

OK that's it you can restart your system one more time if needed and start printing

Good Luck
    Last edited by rajamohan; November 7th, 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: All Cannon Printer Driver (LBP3200)

Thanks for quick reply
    As you mentioned I did as it is :-
    1) downloaded the file
    2) Extracted the downloaded file; which created this file Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN (in download dir.)
    3) Downloaded the file which opens with Ubuntu Software center; But after installing it was showing RE-Install instead of remove and with installed tick mark. ( I thought some error while installing so RE- Installed it for the second time but the end result was again the same RE-Install instead of remove and with installed tick mark. . I let go and went with next step.
    4) sduo dpkg -i gs-esp_9.01~dfsg~svn12047-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    result was :-
    shree@shree-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i gs-esp_9.01~dfsg~svn12047-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    [sudo] password for shree:
    dpkg: error processing gs-esp_9.01~dfsg~svn12047-0ubuntu1_all.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    gs-esp_9.01~dfsg~svn12047-0ubuntu1_all.deb
    shree@shree-desktop:~$

Now what do i do ?

Quote Originally Posted by rajamohan View Post
    OK now ubuntu 11.10 is out so I thought of updating this thread for the latest version and most recent driver. This time I am going to details the installation of the driver from the existing build direct from the Canon linux driver, below are the steps

1. Download the driver from the link http://support-au.canon.com.au/conte...900772408.html
    2. unzip the downloaded driver assuming you had downloaded to the default folder (Downloads)

3. This will create a folder "Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN" in the current directory. You will have four folders inside this, of which we are concerned about two folder i.e "32-bit_Driver" and "64-bit_Driver"

4. Ubuntu 11.10 have a missing package gs-esp so we need to fix that download the .deb package from the link and install it http://launchpadlibrarian.net/626416...buntu1_all.deb

For 32 Bit System

5. change to folder "32-bit_Driver"

For 64 Bit System

The driver file contain only contain RPM files so we need to convert it to .deb files, for this we will install a alien package which is a tool to convert RPM to DEB

Now we need to convert the rpm files (assuming we are in Downloads Folder)

5. now we have the .deb files we can install the driver

Let start prepare to start configuring the printer.

6. Ubuntu 11.10 had blacklisted usblp modules (I am not sure of why this is done , document shows that CUPS uses the usb in raw mode, If anybody have any ideas can add details). so before start to configure let us configure to load the usblp module

comment the line prefixing # so that it look like #blacklist usblp, save it and exit. Restart the system so that we will have the usblp module loaded

7. Add Printer (Assuming Model LBP3200)

you need to change the printer model and the .ppd files respectively to your printer models

8. Configure Capt Admin demon to route printing to correct usb port

9. Now configure auto start the capt daemon by udev rules by identifying the USB Vendor parameter (cannon vendor id is 0x04a9)

Code:
    KERNEL=="lp*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", RUN+="/bin/bash /etc/init.d/ccpd start"
    KERNEL=="lp*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/bash /etc/init.d/ccpd stop"
    Add the above two lines 1st line for starting the service and the second line is to stop the service, this happens automatically when you switch on/off your printer

10. Change the start up script
    Delete all the existing content and replace it with the below code

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ccpd
    NAME=ccpd

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

ccpd_start ()
    {
            log_end_msg $?
    }

ccpd_stop ()
    {
            log_end_msg $?
    }

case $1 in

start)
            ccpd_start
            ;;

stop)
            ccpd_stop
            ;;

status)
            ;;

restart)
            ccpd_stop
                sleep 2
            ccpd_start
                log_end_msg $?
            ;;

*)
            exit 1
            ;;
    esac
    exit 0
    Ok, now we are done with the setup lets restart the system and do the finish up step

Finish-up

1. check if the usb port are properly installed

you should see the lp0 in the list

2. Switch on the printer and then type the command below to see the CAPT Admin daemon is running

The command should list some thing like this "Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS: ccpd: 1135 1131", there should be two process running (the number will differ)

3. Disabling the auto assigned printer

go to select the auto selected printer (in my case its LBP3200-2) and change the status to "OFF"

OK that's it you can restart your system one more time if needed and start printing

Good Luck

Beans

Hi,

I tried to follow the procedure close, but in stage 7 I get:

lpadmin: Bad device-uri scheme "ccp"

In GUI, Printer properties I have device URI: file:///dev/null

So, no luck in printing yet...

Maybe previous attempts have trashed my system somehow. Can you give me some tips how to get device-uri scheme ccp registered?

Thanks,

--Hannu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HL67 View Post
    Hi,

I tried to follow the procedure close, but in stage 7 I get:

lpadmin: Bad device-uri scheme "ccp"

In GUI, Printer properties I have device URI: file:///dev/null

So, no luck in printing yet...

Maybe previous attempts have trashed my system somehow. Can you give me some tips how to get device-uri scheme ccp registered?

Thanks,

--Hannu
    What I usually do in these situations is test from a live CD. This way you don't trash your system.

Although I actually avoid most of these issues by not going with hardware dependent on proprietary drivers (http://www.thinkpenguin.com/ or check out HP's printer list- they identify which printers require non-free firmware / or non-free plug-in) and get hardware that has mainline kernel/and or project support.

Beans

OK, thats a wise strategy. But im not there with this device. LBP6000, to be exact. It should work... That was so close...

edit: Just got over this one:

In phase 5 / amd64 I did:

cd Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V230_uk_EN/62-bit_Driver/RPM
    sudo alien *.rpm --scripts

Thanks to this thread at askubuntu.com:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/79906...-folders-wrong

Still I cant print, but I doubt whether it is CAPT problem anymore... Every print job turns to "failed" at printer control panel.

edit2: Got over that one, too.
    I did open a window to what's happening at print time:
    $ tail - f /var/log/syslog
    I learned that Novell AppArmor was blocking much of cups printing. So, I removed AppArmor from my system with Ubuntu Software Center.
    Now the print jobs are handled fine, although printer still outputs nothing. In syslog I see that mapping printer usb device to cups device doesnt succeed, somehow... Hmm...

edit3: Further progress and final dead end
    I allowed blacklisting of usblp module (undo phase 6). Got better output in syslog: now the interface is registered correctly, or no failures in log, at least.

Still: Ubuntu/cups printing is fine, print job gets completed in reasonable time, but printer outputs nothing. Tried to connect printer to Win7 32-bit, works OK.

I tried to compile 64-bit driver v. 2.40 from source, with no luck. "common" part compiled OK, "capt" part did not (there was "command not found" error after quite a lot of makefiles gone through).

I haven't time to be in stuck with this anymore. Im doing some arrangements: giving LBP6000 for my wife (she is using Windows 7 64-bit), and using myself HP Officejet 6500 with Linux 64-bit.
    Last edited by HL67; January 6th, 2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: More info / conclusion

Beans
    Distro

I used the above steps from rajamohan with the difference - driver v2.40 and instead of:
    Code:
    sudo alien *.rpm
    I used
    Code:
    sudo alien *.rpm --scripts
    Everything went ok except the printer doesn't print. I get the printing messages but the Job State says Held.

When I go to the Print dialogue I can see LBP3250 and also LBP3250-2 (which is disabled), for LBP3250 Location is empty (for LBP3250-2 it's the name of my comp), and under Status it says:

/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocapt3 failed

If I undo step6 (allow blacklisting) the tests fail:
    Code:
    sudo ls /dev/usb
    doesn't show lp0
    and
    Code:
    doesn't show any process numbers

The message Printing "some document name" pops up every so often at the bottom of the screen, but nothing happens on the printer.

Help!

Beans
    Distro

I also tried the script from http://howandyou.com/how-to-install-...ers-in-ubuntu/

and during the install it complained about a dependency:
    libc6-i386 (>= 2.3.2)

so I installed it, closed the Synaptic, started the script again, rebooted but still it won't print.
    Also when I test:
    Code:
    I only get one number (process):

Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS: ccpd: 642

Beans

I was having nightmares with my LBP6200 in 12.04 64 bit. Anyway, out of all the guides this one with a few extra tweaks (taken from others) worked for me. I assume its the same for the LBP3200 and most other ones too:

1) get the drivers from Canon (Latest are 2.4) and extract. Go to the rpms and alien them in a terminal: sudo alien *.rpm --scripts

2) Install the DEBs normally.

3) copy everything (just to be sure) from: /usr/lib/cups/ to usr/lib64/cups (create /lib64/cups if doesn't exist) <---needed because the driver doesn't put all the files we need into lib64! (naughty, Canon)

4) terminal: lsmod | grep usblp

if nothing add:
    ls -l /var/ccpd
    sudo mkdir /var/ccpd
    sudo mkfifo /var/ccpd/fifo0
    sudo chown -R lp:lp /var/ccpd

5) Make better ccpd (See Step 6 in first post of this thread)

6) install printer @ terminal(replace xxxx with your printer model. Mine is 6200)

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBPxxxx -m CNCUPSLBPxxxxCAPTK.ppd -v ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E

7)/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBPxxxx -o /dev/usb/lp0

8 ) restart CUPS: sudo service cups restart

9) unplug printer. Re-plug in to USB: Let Ubuntu install driver. Disable it (Right click it, and disable in "printing GUI) Uncheck "Make default"

10) Delete the original LBP we manually installed (Step 6)from within the GUI

11) in the GUI manually add new printer -> Choose the CAPT one! (Very important)and correct PPD. Make it default. Go to properties and make sure it is: ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0

12) re-start CUPS: sudo service cups restart

13) unplug printer. Re-plug it in

14) Start ccpd: sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd start

15) Print a test page.

16) Good luck!! (You'll bloody need it)

Note 1) have tried many ways to automate ccpd on boot, but to no avail. Any ideas that actually work? If not, just do what I do. Boot, unplug printer. re-plug it in (turn on first!) Start ccpd (Step 14) And wait for about 30 secs. THEN print.

Note 2) The above worked for me. Please feel free to fix my mistakes/order/whatever. If there are shortcuts, please also comment.
    Last edited by tora201; April 19th, 2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: fixed typos. thanks Sivella

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast