Thread: R-CRAN Packages - Too much to handle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

R-CRAN Packages - Too much to handle

Today, I was avoiding doing something productive, so I reviewed the list of packages available for R. I am currently downloading the PDF help files for ~50 packages or so. I "thought" I was becoming a reasonably competent R programmer but now I know that I haven't even scratched the surface of what R can do. Some of these packages look insanely useful such as:

• experiment
    • FactoMineR
    • HTMLUtils
    • RGoogleMaps !!!! (This one is neat)

There a few that look interesting but I have no use for, such as sugaR and the twitter client (Who needs to twitter from within R?). And there are the few hundred that I don't even understand. Admittedly, I don't claim to know much about hydrology, astro-physics or some of the other funky topics covered by some of these packages, but the wealth of technology is overwhelming.

If you've got a spare hour, reading through this list could be a very productive activity. Enjoy.
    Last edited by gunksta; November 5th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans

Re: R-CRAN Packages - Too much to handle

Thank you for the link. I think I'm in the same boat as you. I get along pretty well in R for the things I want to do, but every now and then I get a much larger glimpse where I realize that there are more things in the R heaven and earth than can be dreamt of in my R philosophy.

Edit: I forgot to add that now I will now end up spending time avoiding productive work so that I can peruse that list!
    Last edited by hubie; November 5th, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Include a chide to gunksta about distracting me

Beans

Thank you for the link. I just realized I had been downloading the Penn World Tables manually, but there's a package that already has them! And it's even updated to the most current version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, after looking at the breadth of packages available, I downloaded about 50 PDF manuals. Some of these are the manuals for packages I already have installed but many were for packages that I had never heard of, and I need to read more about them before deciding if I want to install them and try them out.

I am especially interested in the HTML out packages.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I came across some interesting use of the twitteR-package http://www.drewconway.com/zia/?p=1471 I found the link From Twitter of course..

Beans

Saw an R app at the iTunes store, it's called R instructor. Anybody downloaded/heard of it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.