Thread: network manager doesnt show the "wireless networks" option

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

network manager doesnt show the "wireless networks" option

as the title says, when i left click on network manager it shows the wired networks (disconnected, there arent any), mobile broadband (what im using now) but it doesnt display the "wireless networks" which i can connect to on live CD (9.04) im using 9.10 not 9.04 now thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: network manager doesnt show the "wireless networks" option

You said you can see the networks using the Ubuntu 9.04 LiveCD can you see them using a 9.10 Live Disc? If not it sounds like perhaps your Wifi card is experiencing a regression with the latest Ubuntu release. What type of card do you have?

~Jeff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi, thanks for answering, i cant see the wireless networks in 9.10 live cd either the code sudo lshw -C network produced this
    Code:
    description: Network controller        product: BCM4312 802.11b/g        vendor: Broadcom Corporation        physical id: 0        bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0        version: 01        width: 64 bits        clock: 33MHz        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list        configuration: latency=0        resources: memory:f0200000-f0203fff
    i will be upgrading my wireless card in the near future i hope to an Intel 3945 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Wirele...7429881&sr=8-1) i hope that info helps thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm having the exact same problem. Jaunty detected my wifi network just fine, but since upgrading to Karmic, no wifi networks are detected. I'm dual-booting with Windows 7 and have no problems with windows detecting my wife network, either.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

This sounds like the same problem I had immediately after the first boot after I installed 9.10. Wired was fine but wireless was not. Using Synaptic Package Manager I removed Network Manager and at the same time installed WICD. Then rebooted and WICD detected my AP and its been working fine ever since then, in fact better than Network Manager ever did in 9.04, wireless connects automatically by the time the boot finishes.