Thread: Gateway LT2030u netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Gateway LT2030u netbook

Hey I just wanted to say I recently purchased a Gateway LT2030u netbook and want to report that it works perfectly with Ubuntu, 9.10 UNR to be specific. It is a fairly run of the mill netbook in terms of specs. Atom n270, 1GB of RAM which I upgraded to 2GB, 250GB HD, 10.1" screen, and installed with Windows 7 Starter. Everything I have tested has worked perfectly.

• Wireless
    • Card reader
    • Web camera and microphone
    • Suspend and resume work just fine
    • All the fn keys work and do what they are supposed to

So all in all I am very pleased at how well it runs with 9.10.

Beans

Re: Gateway LT2030u netbook

I was thinking of getting one of these (was going to dual boot Win7 and Karmic) but the 1GB Max RAM put me off. However, you have stated you managed to upgrade to 2GB, if this is possible as a "normal" upgrade I would be very pleased if you could tell me how (i.e. - Gateway lied it has a memory expansion and you just fitted another Gig)

TIA

DaddyHoggy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey sorry I had not replied sooner. On the bottom of the machine are little removable doors. One for the hard drive and another for the RAM. You just unscrew one screw from the small panel in the middle, pop it out, and then remove the ram and install the new, very easy to do. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178165 is the RAM module I bought and it worked just fine.

Beans

No worries on the delay - thanks for taking the time to reply! I was hoping it was so simple - there was nothing on the Gateway website to indicate that this was an option. Glad it is. (and thanks for the link!)

Cheers.

DH

Beans

nlstone,

I just came across this post. I also just purchased a LT2032u (same as the LT2030u, except is black instead of Red). I bought it from Best Buy yesterday for $279, which is a great price in my opinion, but I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to be sure that i could upgrade the RAM to 2GB before I do. I noticed the RAM bay cover on the bottom of the unit, and it seems very straight forward to do (I'm computer savy enough to do it myself). However, the thing that scared me was I just did a technical chat with Gateway Support, and they said that based on thier documentation, the motherboard isn't rated to handle anything higher than a 1GB chip (1 GB max), and that adding anything higher can cause the unit to freeze. However, I find this very hard to believe as most Netbooks are now using the same internal components, and most netbooks are upgradable to 2GB. Plus, why have the RAM bay on the bottom, and why install Win 7 (which minumum requires 1GB but recommend 2GB) if you can't upgrade to 2GB?

Anyways, I just wanted to confirm that you have personally performed the upgrade, and that you are not experiencing any issues or problems since you did the upgrade. Also, I know you don't have Win 7 on there anymore, but overall, how do you like the unit?

DaddyHoggy, I'd be curious to get your feedback too! Did you preform the 2GB upgrade? Any issues for you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

kmichalec