Thread: Moblin?

edin9 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moblin?

Experiences? Especially on Acer Aspire One.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Moblin?

If i had an atom i'd find out myself...
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The last Moblin I tried was v2 beta.

It ran well, fairly stably, but the software selection was VERY limited and the social networking features only worked on Last.fm and Twitter - I don't use either of those.

I also didn't think much of the Connman connection manager - it seemed like the GUI wasn't conveying what was actually happening.

My Aspire One already has a sensitive trackpad (which is how I like it) but when running Moblin it was so sensitive, it was picking up my finger's movement *above* the trackpad. So whenever I removed my finger from the trackpad, the arrow would move a centimeter away.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think Moblin is just Intel's way of fending off Arm. Intel is using Linux as a hedge against ARM, and by having their own platform where they can control, they can keep on foisting Atoms on people who want superior battery life of an ARM powered device. An ARM CPU consumes less than a watt of energy. Intel's Atom sucks down 5 Watts!

That translates into massive power savings. ARM CPUs are what's in mobile smartphones like iPhone, Palm Pre, etc.

ARM CPU's RISC design is on par performance wise with Intel's Atom, lower power consumption, and of course, ARM CPUs are cheaper!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried it, I hated it. It's way too simple, I didn't like the UI I can't say enough about it. I just really didn't like it. It felt confined, restricted, castrated etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    If i had an atom i'd find out myself...
    It runs on my Core 2 Duo (and most Intel CPUs I think).

I liked it, just that wifi didn't work.
    It's been about 2 months since I booted it up, so maybe it's more "finished" now...

I really like alternatives to the conventional desktop, so the UI was appealing to me.