Thread: Flickering log in screen

Beans

Exclamation Flickering log in screen

Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux, so please forgive me if this is a common query/problem.

When I boot into Ubuntu from the Grub menu my screen keeps flickering and I'm unable to input my username and password (it's random which keys are recognized). I can log in using Recovery mode (the screen doesn't flicker), but I don't know what to do once I'm in a command prompt.

Additional info:

When I downloaded and tried the 64bit version running from the cd (dvd) I liked it, so I installed it (full install). I made a 20gig partition and clicked the option to enable access to my files on Vista. But when I log into windows I don't see a partition other than the 3 I already had (OS, Recovery and D drive). Does this mean I didn't partition correctly and that's what's causing the problem?

Also, can I change the default boot in Grub back to Vista instead of booting into a broken log in screen?

Thanks for your help

System Spec:

HP HDX18 Notebook
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz 2.27 GHz
    RAM: 4.00 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    HD: 2 X 250 GB
    Last edited by Registered User; November 4th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Flickering log in screen, Ubuntu 9.10 does not start GDM

I get the same flickering login window in ubuntu 9.10. Login in normal mode is not possible. I can not start the 9.10 gdm successfully.

I see a message that tells about about firewall program (firestarter) going down when I try to login in the flickering login window.

I updated from 9.04 (that was working fine) to 9.10.

I can get the cli up but not gui, if I first login to to the failsafe mode (failsafe login does not flicker!).

If I try to start gdm in the cli it does not come up but gives following error:

ubuntu 9.10 acer_acpi: No or unsupported WMI interface, unable to load.

My PC is ACER aspire t135 pc with 250 GB hard disk.

I have given the manual upgrade steps in the CLI (that are in ubuntu page) to ensure upgrade is complete. I also have done all the steps in failsafe login menu (correct broken packages, update grub etc). None of above has helped the situation. I had the latest 9.10 packages available 4th October and this was the result.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Flickering log in screen

I answered pmp's problem here, have alook it might work for you