Thread: Another "would it be possible?" question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Another "would it be possible?" question

Would it be possible to set up "dual passwords", that is, have one really strong password for logging in, and another easier one for working within ubuntu (eg, after sudo)?

I ask because I never leave my computer logged on unsupervised, and have a really strong password, but those numbers and different cases can become a pita when needing to enter password during a session.
    My Girlfriend + Man Utd + Nightwish + Chess + Poker + a little bit of Accounting = my life!

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Another "would it be possible?" question

Yes.

Beans
    Distro

Excellent.

How so?
    My Girlfriend + Man Utd + Nightwish + Chess + Poker + a little bit of Accounting = my life!

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, you can either create a different user just for sudo, or enable root. I'm not allowed to tell you how on the forums. But it's not too hard, after a quick google.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I won't ask you to break forum rules.

Beans

No need to enable root account. Instead, you could set up another account in the admin group you use just for admin stuff.

Then, when you're logged in on your main account, in a terminal, type "su other-account-name", and then enter that account's password. Then type "sudo mycommand". This will probably require you to enter the second account's password a second time, but you can probably find a way to disable this in sudo's settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't use main account for admin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent ME View Post
    No need to enable root account. Instead, you could set up another account in the admin group you use just for admin stuff.

Then, when you're logged in on your main account, in a terminal, type "su other-account-name", and then enter that account's password. Then type "sudo mycommand". This will probably require you to enter the second account's password a second time, but you can probably find a way to disable this in sudo's settings.
    +1

"su - other-account-name" will even set the environment variables and change the directory.

You can also enable fast user switching and switch accounts for action that requires sudo.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose? Then there would be no need to break the hard password as there is another account with a weaker password with the same permissions (root access). As I understand it what there is being asked is a way to have one password at login and then another for admin use while logged in which is not able to log in on its own.
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Beans

What you want is:

Limited Account w/ easy password
    Admin account w/ tough password

You already have an admin account with a tough password. So just create a limited account (no sudo access) w/ an easy password and use that for regular logon stuff.