Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Koala upgrade disaster. Is there a solution?

Beans

Re: Koala upgrade disaster. Is there a solution?

@ WW, The link I pointed to is only an Ubuntu bootloader. SGD 1.22 is based on grub2, but I couldn't find a repair option. SGD 0.9799 (and older) will repair grub (legacy only) or a windows MBR. I happen to have all 3 and have more experience than I'd like with them (gained well after midnight last Friday, well Saturday)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

While a lot of this info will be duplicates of what you posted italso gives what is in the MBR or PBR and how the system is booting.

Boot Info Script 0.32 courtesy of forum member meierfra
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
    Instructions
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...71&postcount=3
    cd to directory saved to:
    chmod 755 boot_info_script032.sh
    sudo ./boot_info_script032.sh
    or as example if on desktop
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh
    This will create a RESULTS.txt file in the same directory. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

I generally avoid raid issues as I do not have raid and do not understand the logic used to boot those systems. but the script should help explain what is going on. The script also has data for grub2 but does not seem to correctly identify grub2 in the MBR.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Koala upgrade disaster. Is there a solution?

After 3 solid days, I finally gave up trying to salvage the miserable Koala upgrade and built Jaunty from scratch on a new partition. I kept the borked up installation just in case I needed something from it.

What I had done before starting the installation was to build a 'home' and 'root' partitions and copy those directories to the new partitions. Yes, I work almost exclusively from root and that's where I store almost everything so rebuilding the system was far less painful than I expected; 1/2 day. Firefox came up perfectly with all of my settings and add-ons the first time. My purchased programming IDE didn't even ask me for my license.

I now have sound and everything works. I changed the update preferences to Long Term Releases.

Once I know that everything is perfect, I'll clone the hard disk. This have saved my butt several times in the past.

Not to get off the subject, but I'm a bit confused by how to make a backup of one bootable partition to another. I saw synch, pax and dd.

Thank you to everyone who responded,

Spot

Beans

Glad to see that you were about to get things stabilized without any data loss =D>
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have had very similar problems with boot and sound. I have only wasted a day so far. I guess I'll do a fresh install of 9.04 before wasting any more time. Never will I upgrade again. And I had everything working so well...

Beans

That's what I've learned from this experience. I learned the hard way with firefox and Windows too.... one would think that I would start applying lessons cross platform.
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re-partitioned my disk with Live CD saving 9.10 partition and creating a new one, then did fresh install of 9.04 on new partition. All went well. Able to copy from 9.10 partition to 9.04 partition and have things pretty much back the way they were. Only 3 or 4 hours. Glad I had had plenty of free disk space. I hope I learned a lesson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123